The old lady with the brass scales

does anyone remember the old lady with the brass scales that used to sit in the entrance of the old rag market

does anyone remember the old lady with the brass scales that used to sit in the entrance of the old rag market
I Remember her well, used to stand and watch her polish that lovely brasswork ,those scales should have been preserved in a museum, perhaps they did! Arthur

hre name was mrs white she lived on the manor it wassaid although i dont know if this is fact that when she retired she kept the scales in her coalplace

To my great embarrassment my Mother used to have us weighed on those scales. My cousins used to be weighed at the same time in a sort of competition. Then it was who had put the most weight on now it would have been who had taken it off.

I can never remember not having to pay so she must have guessed right..

hazel

i can remember her, i can also remember the herbelist shop my grandmother used to call there ,tuesdays & fridays thats when my grandmother used to go to the rag,n,tag . happy days

To my great embarrassment my Mother used to have us weighed on those scales. My cousins used to be weighed at the same time in a sort of competition. Then it was who had put the most weight on now it would have been who had taken it off.

I can never remember not having to pay so she must have guessed right..

hazel

Yes , memories again, I always how she got the scales there every day,or did she leave them out all night long.

The herbalist was called Amoid (not sure that is the correct spelling). One summer I worked on an ice cream van parked next to his stall. He had his regular clients who came along for all sorts of concoctions

good god i remember her having the brass scales at the old market bottom of dixon lane ... we are all showing our age now guys ....

I think there two paraffin flares attached to it which she would light when it got dark.

Also remember the " pet stall " which was situated in an old dilapidated building very close to the brass weighing scales. It was always fascinating visiting the Rag & Tag and also the Victorian Market Hall. Both had loads of character.