Books - What do you recommend? / What are you reading?

Bernard Cornwell's "Grail Quest" trilogy might not appeal to everyone. The first book, Harlequin, is pretty much 500 pages of bloodshed, murder and chaos. And it's great!

He has done another one too (Bernard Cornwell), about the biulding of Stonehenge. That was good but cant remember what it was called 2000 something, and i have lent it out so can't check.

Fuzzy, if you liked Stonehenge then I'd recommend you read his "Warlord" trilogy. It's set during the time of King Arthur, it's just as gory as Harlequin, but (in my opinion) it has a much better story to it. Trust me, it's worth a look. I think the first book's called "The Winter King".

Phanerothyme,

Have to agree on Hawksmoor!! I read it after hearing ACkroyd on Radio 4 - fascinating book!

I'm also currently reading 'Gulag' by Anne Applebaum. All about the Soviet labour camps. Scary stuff, but well worth a read.

Joe

Believe me ANY book by Martina Cole

Why not try a book by a local author. There are some good ones around. Although a lot are local history there are others too, eg comedy, crime, thrillers.

why dont you give us some examples then..............

J P Bean wrote a fascinating book on the Sheffield Gang Wars.. is he local?

Has anyone read the Dumas Club by Arturo Perez-Reverte. I have bought it but reading another one of Dan Browns' Novels at the moment (Digital Fortress)

I know the book is the base for the film called 'The Ninth Gate'...just wondered if anyone had read it.

Phan I think I heard of prometheus rising, but I am unsure if I have just read a previous post of yours recommend it.

Moon Maiden

As a rule of thumb I dont read anything that has won any literary prizes since I read a complete load of rubbish (not the title, but it could have been) by Martin Amis cant remember what it was called thankfully. Talk about someone getting on through familly connections or what!

Good book at the moment is Attention all shipping.

I only really read books about exploration and world travel.

Generally anything by Benedict Allen is good. My fave is "Through Jaguar Eyes" by him. Its about the amazon basin and is really neat.

A quite scary book is "Haunted America." Dunno who its by though. Still it had me sleeping with the light on. :)

Originally posted by Rusted Root

I only really read books about exploration and world travel.

Generally anything by Benedict Allen is good. My fave is "Through Jaguar Eyes" by him. Its about the amazon basin and is really neat.

A quite scary book is "Haunted America." Dunno who its by though. Still it had me sleeping with the light on. :)

Have you read anything by Nick Danziger?

And WIlliam Dalrymple is quite good. His 'White Moghuls' was really interesting.

Joe