Books - What do you recommend? / What are you reading?

Mastering Jiu-Jitsu by Renzo Gracie. probably the best martial arts book i've read, it includes a comprehensive history of bjj including it's evolution from jjj and judo, as well as some techniques, tactics and case histories.

Currently the story of ebaY - 'The Perfect Store'.

I also found myself reading the purple prose of HP Lovecraft's 'At the Mountains of Madness' over the weekend. Probably to prpepare me for work...:)

Joe

Originally posted by JoePritchard

Currently the story of ebaY - 'The Perfect Store'.

I also found myself reading the purple prose of HP Lovecraft's 'At the Mountains of Madness' over the weekend. Probably to prpepare me for work...:)

Joe

What is HP Lovecraft like to read ?

I saw a film last week based on one of his books so I thought I might give it a try, I'm thinking it's kind of gothic horror ?

Remedial drama and Drama and Theatre Studies in prep for my new job in Jan.

Counselling in Context for my counselling course and The Child Protection Act for my last unit of childcare.

Draaaaaag :(

Originally posted by nick2

What is HP Lovecraft like to read ?

I saw a film last week based on one of his books so I thought I might give it a try, I'm thinking it's kind of gothic horror ?

Very different to most of the film adaptations...:)

Actually, some of his prose is so purple it's unreadable unless you take time to get in to the mood of it. Usually by sacrificing a few dozen people to C'thulu....;) But when you're in teh right mood it's great!

But yes, Gothic Horror with a capital G. He wrote novellas and short fiction, and also gave rise to the 'Cthulu Mythos' which has inspired lots of writers to write stories based around the mythology that underpins many of his stories. Quite a few of the mythos stories are better than the originals, if you get my drift.

In my opinion, his best ones are :

The colour out of space. (Non Mythos)

The shadow out of time. (Partially Mythos)

The Call of Cthulu (Mythos)

The Mountains of Madness (Mythos)

There are a few collections of his fiction around.

Some of his very early stuff, and soem of his poetry, is very influenced by the 'decadents' of the early 20th Century, and most of his stuff could have benefited from a bit of editing.

But, I couldn't do better....:) And like all writers in horror and science fiction, I've got my own Cthulu Mythos stories!

Joe

Thanks Joe.

I'll have a look around and see if I can find any of his stuff

Originally posted by JoePritchard

*lots of good stuff on HP Lovecraft*

Would like to add my recommendation too!! His most famous works are available in 3 compilations. Personally love the 'elder god' series (including the C'thulhu story Joe mentioned) and a particularly nasty short entitled "the rats in the walls"... Just superb.

Right now I am reading my Stephen King collection! I am reading a book called "Bag of Bones!" It is very good!

Originally posted by Agent Dan

Would like to add my recommendation too!! His most famous works are available in 3 compilations. Personally love the 'elder god' series (including the C'thulhu story Joe mentioned) and a particularly nasty short entitled "the rats in the walls"... Just superb.

The Rats in the Walls is an excellent story - I quite like 'the Haunter of the Dark' as well!

Joe

Originally posted by tigress04

Right now I am reading my Stephen King collection! I am reading a book called "Bag of Bones!" It is very good!

After all the Lovecraft stuff, have you read King's 'Crouch End'?

C'thulu Mythos story set in London.

Joe