Books - What do you recommend? / What are you reading?

The last book i remember reading was 'The Guv'ner'. It's about a man called Lenny Mclean who was undefeated in over 2000 bare knuckle fights, only to be struck down by cancer.

He starred in a few films including Lock Stock...... He was also on tv in a drama series.

Funny how a 6'4" man mountain can have you in tears by reading his life story!.

My partner has just finished the book 'A child called it' and she has told me to read it. I'll be starting it tonight, sounds harrowing though.

Originally posted by vidster

The last book i remember reading was 'The Guv'ner'. It's about a man called Lenny Mclean who was undefeated in over 2000 bare knuckle fights, only to be struck down by cancer.

He starred in a few films including Lock Stock...... He was also on tv in a drama series.

Funny how a 6'4" man mountain can have you in tears by reading his life story!.

I'm currently read this (very slowly) at the mo, it is a really good book.

Also reading The 99 Critical Shots in Pool.

PHP developer's cookbook.

just the thing for pot head pixies everywhere! (gong joke)

HG Wells - War of the Worlds.

Top old school British sci-fi, formed the basis for one of the greatest rock operas ever made, the Jeff Wayne version of War of the Worlds.

Just a damn shame Hollywood made a total pig's ear of it back in 1953, the movie had almost no connection to the book apart from that it had Martians in it who died from exposure to pur atmosphere.

My mothers old cookery book, that goes back over 50 years of her collecting recipes.

I can drool over some of the long forgotten things she used to make when we were kids.

Originally posted by amhudson119

Bryson's "Notes From A Small Island" - his journey around the UK.

I bought it today, only read the prelogue so far.

Also reading 'Raymond Carver - Where I'm Calling From', a collection of his short stories. Brilliantly written but i was expecting more, its not amazing stuff.

Chris.

The first three years of the child by Karl Konig.

Doing a study group on it too if anyone interested.

"The Kid" by a man called Kevin Lewis. True story about a boy who's abused by his parents. A bit like "A Child Called It"

Originally posted by Chloe

"The Kid" by a man called Kevin Lewis. True story about a boy who's abused by his parents. A bit like "A Child Called It"

I've just read "The Kid" and am now working on re-reading the Dave Pelzer books - all four are absolutely heartbreaking and will make you realise just how damn lucky you are. "Sickened" by Julie Gregory is along the same lines, but her abuse took place in the form of her mother's Munchausen By Proxy syndrome.

Originally posted by Chris_Sleeps

I bought it today, only read the prelogue so far.

Also reading 'Raymond Carver - Where I'm Calling From', a collection of his short stories. Brilliantly written but i was expecting more, its not amazing stuff.

Chris.

Did Raymond Carver write the story about the bloke on the train who gets taken off at gunpoint by his secretary? I think it was called The Five-Fifteen or something similar.

Good story.

Joe

The last book i read was The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon. Its aimed at teenagers i think but i really enjoyed it, very funny and moving.

I am reading some more Philip K Dick short stories now, hes always inspiring.