Books - What do you recommend? / What are you reading?

Catch 22 is brilliant. That was the last book I read. I don't hyave time at the moment 'cos i'm on a radiography course and all my time is spent readin physics and anatomy books!

I'd also reccomend Catcher In the Rye if your into classic 20th century stuff.

Over Christmas I read the first two volumes of Jeffrey Archer's Prison Diaries. Now I never really liked the man and some of it is abit cringeworthy BUT it does give a really interesting insight into Prisons and the Prison system.

Am now on the third volume - I wonder what happens????? :P

Mat:)

I am reading Martina Cole "The Graft" I can reccomend any of her books she's FAB I have got and read them all has anyone else?

Originally posted by amhudson119

I have just started:Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susannna Clarke(1), and after that, I'll probably start: The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time(2).

(1) After reading the first chapter, I am finding it pretty riveting, IMO. Great plot - very interesting, IMO.

(2) Everyone seems to be reccommending this book. There are two versions:- the adult version, and the children's version. I am presuming the children's version will have the plot dumbed-down, perhaps.

Here are other books that look pretty reasonable:

- "Eats Shoots and Leaves" - I have read it, but I do not have my own copy; you find yourself agreeing with the examples of poor grammar throughout the book.

- Bryson's novels - again, I've read them, but do not have my own copies.

- "Jack Moggs" - Sounds pretty reasonable. Amazon/customer reviews are speaking of it highly.

- "The Secret History" - Again, based on Amzon and customer reviews, it seems pretty good.

- "Catch 22" - A DSer claimed it was "hilarious". So, it seems as if I'll have to buy that one.

- "The Lovely Bones" - Apparently that is a good one, too.

- "About A Boy" - NFFC claimed it was pretty decent - again, I'll add it to my list.

- "Life Of Pi" - Apparently it is good.

Alex

Hi :-)

Catch 22 is a good book but I found it tough to get into and sustain, I have a feeling its more of a boys book?

About A Boy is very readable, I love Nick Hornby books, they're always engaging and believable

Life Of Pi is very different and fantastic.

I'd love to know how you get on with Strange & Norell

Guest karenjane39

At the moment I'm reading 'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith - old classic.

Recently read 'The Two of Us' by Sheila Hancock - very good.

'The Lovely Bones' is very good, can recommend!

I loved The Curious Incident! An amazing book!

I currently have on the go:

Tainted Life ... Marc Almond (The auto biography)

The memory Box ...... Margret Forster

Marylin Manson Disected!

A strange trio indeed but all equally as good!

havent we had this thread?? glad people like reading though, glad im not the only sado! terry pratchet - going postal and irwine welsh - glue and he bates - "darling buds of my " series. just finished king lear again - very good book still!

My fella bought me Dragonology and Egyptology for Xmas, sort of adult pop up books lol. That sounds dodgy.:blush:

They're pretty good, fairly accurate and good fun but they don't take long to read although all the little pull outs and pop ups make it entertaining.

Just about to start The Lovely Bones myself.

I'm currently reading Bronson. Autobiography of Charles Bronson - notorious for his fights against the system.

Originally posted by Maddy

Hi :-)

Catch 22 is a good book but I found it tough to get into and sustain, I have a feeling its more of a boys book?

About A Boy is very readable, I love Nick Hornby books, they're always engaging and believable

Life Of Pi is very different and fantastic.

I'd love to know how you get on with Strange & Norell

I'm currently in the second chapter - and, so far, it is smashing.

I'll give follow-ups every now and then. :)

Alex

Originally posted by Lickszz

Threads merged.

I really should use the Search facility!

Alex