Sign in to follow this  

Which plants refuse to grow in your garden ?

For some reason cyclamen refuse to appear after the first year.I always ask the shopkeeper when I buy them"Are these outdoor ones ?" But never see them after that.Also Ive put Osteospermum in, and never seen them again.Ive put some in again this year.They look very healthy at the moment,but dont know wether they will come up next year.Thank goodness my favourite plant,Hydreange.absolutely loves my garden.I wonder if its the soil ?

Fucias and heather flatly refuse to grow in my garden. Its annoying because I love both plants and I try each year to encourage them to grow to no avail.

Ooooh- my garden must have just the right mix for cyclamen then- they've been coming up for at least 10 years now.

I think it could be to do with your soil, or it could be the position. They like to be under trees and in shade with free draining soil. I've got ones that flower in the spring and the autumn.

I seem to have problems with hollyhocks- they just give up the ghost, no matter how carefully I follow the care guidelines.

Lavender and Heather!!!

I've killed two of each now, and yet next door has at least 5 pots of lavender and on the the other side she has her whole front covered in heather!! They seem to be the only plants that don't do well, yet I've had self seeded foxgloves come up from nowhere and crookes is hardly country garden central :huh:

I've had my garden for less than a year, so most of the flowering plants were already established when we moved in. My sweet peas didn't fare very well this summer though, but I think that was probably due more to a lack of watering than having the wrong conditions in my garden :blush: