St. Mary's primary School, South Road, Walkley.

It Was In The Late Very Late 70's When It Moved Down To Burgoyne Road

The kids that were there when I was include, John Webster (Hoole Street), Michael Dinegan (South Road), Terry Crookes(football mad), Theresa and Warren Buckmaster (top of Greenhow Street, Julian Roland (Carr Road), Mark Hartley (Herbalist's shop, South Road), Tony Tarantini (South Road), Andrew Cuneo(of iced cream fame, South Road), a really dodgy looking lass called Mandy (tough as nails she was), Peter Holt, Julie Gregg (newsagents shop, South Road), Peter Hardy, Louise Woodhead (lovely ginger hair), Richard Tunstall (Greenhow Street, used to let me ride his 'chopper bike'), Leroy Gale (the first coloured kid I got to know and no doubt many others, oh, by the way, I am amongst that lot, if you can pick me out, answers on a postcard please!

i went there lol, i was terrified of mrs reynolds did you have to do that awful country dancin?. lots of those names sound familiar though its hard to put faces to them after all this time. def remember the tarantini bros, and mark and john webster, did you know jeanette cryer, mandy hawnt, julie goodwin, linda nuttall, margaret beal?

I remember the dancing.....in the hall across the playground. Really hated it too. The name Julie Goodwin rings a bell, and of course the Tarantini brothers, the eldest being John Tarantini who we called "squashed nose" then ran like the clappers :hihi: as for John Webster, we were pretty good mates at the time. Another name was Louise Woodhead and her little twin sisters, all three had lovely ginger hair as I recall. There was a tall girl called something Colley, used to tell us she was Evlis' cousin......they were the days.

Anyone out there who went to St. Mary's at Walkley circa early to mid 70's? I remeber certain names like Terry Crookes, John Webster, Michael Dinegan, Theresa Buckmaster.......and Mrs. Reynolds....the fearsome headmistress. Is the school still there?

Bildeborg.

I didnt go there ..went to Westways but I do know Terry Crookes :D ..well if its the same one who lived on Greenhowe street and had two sisters ..Dawn and Debbie :)

bildeborg

you're thinkin of beverly collie i think, she used to live on greenhow st and worked st m &s in town haven't seen her for years.

can you remember goin to church it seems we went all the time lol i can still remember the smell of all the fruit an veg at harvest festival .

also remembered some more names ...david wardley, jane maxon,marie gilvarry. an luggin bottles of water up to bole hills for sports day lol that seems barbaric.

cheers x

Hi Jam, yes, it was Beverley Collie...well done, but as for the other names, I don't recall any of them. I was born 1961, and only went to St. Marys from about 1868 ish to 1971 ish, thence onto King Teds, then Lady Manners at Bakewell. I don't recall going to the Bole Hills for sports day, but I remember the day we heard Mrs. Reynolds had died, I went running to my mum standing at the school gates shouting "mum, mum, Rennybags is dead".....for which I got a huge slap across the head :( ....ho hum.

bildeborg

you're thinkin of beverly collie i think, she used to live on greenhow st and worked st m &s in town haven't seen her for years.

can you remember goin to church it seems we went all the time lol i can still remember the smell of all the fruit an veg at harvest festival .

also remembered some more names ...david wardley, jane maxon,marie gilvarry. an luggin bottles of water up to bole hills for sports day lol that seems barbaric.

cheers x

Saw Beverly Collie and her sister Nicola at there caravan at Saltfleet last week there dad and mam have a van there as well.

My daughter attended St Mary,s at the same time as them two scally,s.

A friend who is not a member of this site is currently transcribing the surviving admission registers for St Mary's from c1946.

She is very keen to find people with class photos, especially if they have names for the children on them, so that she can put faces to the names in the registers.

If anyone can help please PM me and I will put you in touch.

I attended St Mary's 1948 to 1955 and can't remember class photos ever being taken only individual ones.

I attended St Mary's 1948 to 1955 and can't remember class photos ever being taken only individual ones.

Same for most of 1960s.

Thank you both for your comments.