St Josephs Industrial School, Walkley

the nuns that beat a 4 year old for being left handed every day

the nuns that beat a 4 year old for being left handed every day

I am left handed and I was never reprimanded for it. Did have the "magic" Osmeroid pen if that's how it's spelt.

Lucy, you could contact the author of a new booklet "The History of St. Joseph's Home and Hospital Howard Hill, Sheffield 1860 - 2002. His name is Bryn David and his email is : [email protected] --- I am in the process of printing his book and designing a new website. Bryn has a detailed list of the staff and patients that were interred at St. Michael's RC cemetery in Rivelin, Sheffield. Martin.

---------- Post added 22-07-2014 at 18:59 ----------

Lucy

You are on the same hunt as me. I believe that my grandmother was also there c1919-1930 (I believe it closed in 1931). Do you know why your was there?

Unfortunately the Sheffield Archives only hold records to 1907 and thats no good to either of us :mad:

A very nice lady at the Sheffield Cathedral has giving me forwarding info for the Parish Priest at St Vincent's to see if he can help locate the records as St Jospeh's at the time fell under this jurisdiction.

I haven't yet had the chance to contact him but hope to get around to it next week. If you would like to send me a private mail I can keep you informed on any update - two heads may just be better than one ;)

Regards

Jo

[email protected]

Jo, you could contact the author of a new booklet "The History of St. Joseph's Home and Hospital Howard Hill, Sheffield 1860 - 2002". His name is Bryn David and his email is : [email protected] --- I am in the process of printing his book and designing a new website. Bryn has a detailed list of the staff and patients that were interred at St. Michael's RC cemetery in Rivelin, Sheffield. Martin.

---------- Post added 22-07-2014 at 19:00 ----------

Hi,

I too am trying to trace a family member who was a matron at a 'naughty girls' school in Sheffield. I assume it to be St. Josephs school Howard Hill, Sheffield. Her name was Henrietta Sunderland she was born 25th May 1881 she worked there as a matron, she gave up teaching there to look after her sick mother. She married in 1904, so i don't know if she was called Sunderland or Laybourn at the time that she worked there? If anyone comes across her during their research i would appreciate any help i can get! and likewise, should i find out anything of interest i will post the details.

Best wishes

Dianne

Dianne, you could contact the author of a new booklet "The History of St. Joseph's Home and Hospital Howard Hill, Sheffield 1860 - 2002". His name is Bryn David and his email is : [email protected] --- I am in the process of printing his book and designing a new website. Bryn has a detailed list of the staff and patients that were interred at St. Michael's RC cemetery in Rivelin, Sheffield. He worked there for three years in the seventies. Martin.

---------- Post added 03-08-2014 at 21:24 ----------

For all interested in Sheffield history. Care and refuge for severely disabled patients dating back to 1860. A new booklet about to be printed with illustrations and excellently written by author Bryn David who taught in the home in the 1970's. Available from September 2014 at a subsidised cost of £3 from St. Vincent's Catholic Church, 40 Pickmere Road, Sheffield S10 1GY. Alternatively email the author at [email protected] or visit the website: http://www.saintjosephshome.weebly.com

---------- Post added 03-08-2014 at 21:25 ----------

For all interested in Sheffield history. Care and refuge for severely disabled patients dating back to 1860. A new booklet about to be printed with illustrations and excellently written by author Bryn David who taught in the home in the 1970's. Available from September 2014 at a subsidised cost of £3 from St. Vincent's Catholic Church, 40 Pickmere Road, Sheffield S10 1GY. Alternatively email the author at [email protected] or visit the website: http://www.saintjosephshome.weebly.com

Edited by martin1print

I was delighted to come across the account of The History of St Joseph's Home and Hospital. My sister, Barbara Betty Holmes, was born in Derby in 1944 and had severe spina bifida. I was born two years later. My understanding has always been that my mother found it difficult to look after her when I was born and the doctor, so I'm told, recommended St Joseph's Home (though we were not Roman Catholics).

I remember visiting Barbara on several occasions in the 1950s. We went on the tram and my mother used to point out the bomb sites to me. I was always a little afraid of St Joseph's. The severe architecture and the dark corridors held a sense of foreboding. The wooden floors were highly polished and I was rather afraid of the nuns with their cornetted headwear. There was a strong smell in the corridors but I don't know what it was. My parents told me I wasn't allowed to go into Barbara's ward, so instead I was lifted up so I could see my sister through the internal window of the ward. She was always lying in bed, her dark hair visible on the pillow, and a little pale face. My parents told me she could neither walk, talk nor even sit up and that she was probably blind. Sometimes I did go into the ward so I could get closer to my sister. I expect this was when the nuns were not around. I seem to remember there were lots of other children in bed lined up on both sides of the ward, and one child had a fit while we were there, shaking and shaking. My mother told me that Barbara also had fits.

Barbara died aged 10 on 2nd September 1955. I didn't go to the funeral but I remember going afterwards with my mother to Sheffield on two occasions when I was about 10 to put flowers on her grave. My father used to say that he would have a headstone put there one day, but it never happened. I am so grateful that Mr David's account gives the name the cemetery and delighted that there is now a memorial to all those who lie there in unmarked graves. I shall certainly visit. Thank you again. Hilary Minns