Sign in to follow this  

So are mediums real or fake?

Originally posted by dollypeg

In 1971 I went to a spiritualist church in Sheffield, at this time I was very much a non believer. After the service a guest speaker stood up and began to give messages from the other side,he suddenly singled me out and began to tell me things which he could not possibly have known. He told me that two men would come into my life and gave me the initials R and C. The first would cuase me a lot of heartache but the second would be my soul mate. I had a very unhappy marriage to a Robert but in 1975 I met my husband Christopher and yes I believe he is my soul mate.

Having said this I truly believe there are genuine mediums out there, but I also believe that there are a lot of frauds.

Did the medium ONLY say "He told me that two men would come into my life and gave me the initials R and C. The first would cuase me a lot of heartache but the second would be my soul mate.", or was there more? Did they make claims for anyone else, and did they come true (obviously, you cannot verify this.) Were those the medium's exact words? Can you remember his exact words?

People are very good at remembering the "hits", but forgetting the "misses". Particularly if they WANT to believe, and then they may attempt to make the facts fit the predictions, or as they actually are - guesses.

Susie, you know an S, who has been unhappy recently.

The medium actually gave me my late mothers name and also the name Anna Marie, which was the name of my daughter who died when she was two days old. He could not have possibly known either of these things.

As for the two initials R and C, although I cannot quote his actual words after all this time, he basically told me that the R would put at risk something of value. Six months later I married a very violent man who almost killed my two year old son.

When I went to this church I went with someone I had only met a short while before who was grieving for a lost friend.

I can't explain how this medium was able to give me this information, I only know that he did. My experience did not give me any inclanation to start going to seances or anything, in fact I've never been back to the church.

Originally posted by Sam Miguel

Are fat ones called 'maximums'?

:lol:

I went to a medium last year with some girls from work. I was sceptical to say the least and paid little attention to her ramblings about proplems with plumbing and how I had met my soul mate in my then fiance.

I started listening when she started talking about a female relative who had died in tragic circumstances that year. Six months previously my aunt had died suddenly.

I spent the rest of the day trying to explain away how she could have known about that - but couldn't. Then the pipes burst!:o

She wasn't all right though - my fiance turned out to be a rat!

Top TV "mentalist" :wink: Derren Brown is doing a "live" seance Monday on CH4 in order to prove that mediums are frauds. He'll be using his "mind magic" to really freak out some students... not a difficult task I have to admit :D tempted to watch... or at least tape cos I'll be seeing Harry Potter on Monday night - my ticket is booked anyone else care to join? :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Mosherchik

Top TV "mentalist" :wink: Derren Brown is doing a "live" seance Monday on CH4 in order to prove that mediums are frauds. He'll be using his "mind magic" to really freak out some students... not a difficult task I have to admit :D tempted to watch... or at least tape cos I'll be seeing Harry Potter on Monday night - my ticket is booked anyone else care to join? :thumbsup:

Hope you booked mine and Rtapper's as well ;)

Originally posted by Rich

Hope you booked mine and Rtapper's as well ;)

ARGH! thought you'd already booked yours!!! :shocked::huh:

Originally posted by dollypeg

The medium actually gave me my late mothers name and also the name Anna Marie, which was the name of my daughter who died when she was two days old. He could not have possibly known either of these things.

I do not intend to be disrespecful here, but are you sure he gave you your mother's name? Did he in fact say something like, "I'm getting a Sue, a Susie or a Susan?", to which you replied "my mother's name was Susan"?

This is the way that every "medium" operates, guessing and relying on the audience to fill in the blanks and misremember.

Susie, not you mother ;)

The medium actually picked me out of the audience by pointing at me and drawing attention to the coat I was wearing (bright yellow). He said he had with him a little girl Anna Marie who was bringing with her an older woman Dolly. He said that the little girl had problems with her head and back, my daughter had hydrochephalus and spina bifida. He also said that they had not met on this side. At no time did he ask me any questions or give any vieled information.

Picking you out specifically, and giving VERY accurate information would probably indicated hot reading.

Susie