Loud "personal" stereos on public transport.

Before we start lets get one thing clear I have absolutely nothing whatsoever against personal stereos, so long as they`re just that, personal, ie only heard by the person wearing them. Unfortunately there is a trend for them to become less and less personal.....

I was on a train the other day and I could hear this chap who was using one of these things from 8 rows back, that`s eight for Gods sake, EIGHT ! I hate to think what damage it does to their hearing (they`ll regret it when they`re older, "Pardon what did you say ? Can you speak into my hearing aid please....." ) but to be honest I was more bothered about what it was doing to my karma than his hearing, that annoying tinny noise which drives you up the wall.

Playing music out loud on a mobile phone is even more irritating though to be fair it`s relatively uncommon, so far.........

A couple of questions:

1 Is there a chance that the people who use these things at such volumes are unaware how annoying it is, or is it that they know but they just don`t care ?

2 How can one get away from them ? If the train or tram isn`t too full one can just move (though why should one have to.....) but what if it`s packed full and one can`t ? Any suggestions ?

I know that Darren Barker at Supertram (E-Mail [email protected] ) would also be interested to hear passengers views.

Smile smugly in the warm knowledge that every annoying noise you hear has knackered a few more cells in his inner ear.

It's really irritating - I've occasionally wondered about whether a portable directed energy EMP weapon is a feasible winter electronics project.... :)

Yeah ban the irritating things on public transport:)

Sod loud personal stereos, what about loud car stereos? Sureley theres a safety thing to take into consideration when the music in your car is so loud you cant hear traffic? I had a blue renault 4 cars in front of me on Bernard Road tonight, and his music was so loud it was hurting my ears, even though I was wearing a full face helmet.

ban mobile phone mp3 players been used on buses without ear phones not everyone wants to hear the same music

I can hear them ( mobile MP3's ) across the road in the mornings when kids are going to school!...feel like wrapping it around their tiny heads.

With the amount of people I see blasting their (usually crap) music out in buses and things, I'm thankful that I can turn up the volume on my own MP3 player. I just wanna listen to great tunes without listening to other people's!

Why the hell has admin put this thread in the "Fun" category ? Has he blown a fuse ? Fun ? When I`m sat next to someone with one of these infernal devices (if it`s too loud) I`m certainly not thinking about laughing, murder would be closer to the mark........

Don't forget it's Fun & Random. Maybe it's part of the Random bit?

It really, 100%, doesn't bother me. I'm interested to hear what people are listening to.

Its public transport though, not a public library.

Makes me shake my head though with all the hoody crew going down the road with the music player on loud on their mobiles. Yawn, go to a nightclub. (Or maybe not, don't want to encourage underage drinking!)