Loud "personal" stereos on public transport.

To the thoughtful "Sunshine", I`m sure it wasn`t yours !

How nice it is these days to come across someone who thinks about others more than themselves.

Aw thanks :)

Yes Mr Smith i also agree with you,

I think some teenagers think it is part of their street cred and the music they are playing (thats not music!) im 20 years old and i still cant make out any lyrics just sounds like a racket to me.

Don't know if you have noticed but its little kiddies too now with these little 'song boxes' from their McDonald's Happy Meals they press a button and the same song comes out over and over again, :rant:

Don't know if you have noticed but its little kiddies too now with these little 'song boxes' from their McDonald's Happy Meals they press a button and the same song comes out over and over again, :rant:

God, the little girl who I used to babysit for has these attached to her bike, and one of them is..... crazy frog :gag::(

Yeah my boyfs kids have 3 each, oh its funny for at least five mins lol!

I often take foam earplugs with me when I travel by train or bus. I like to read either a book or newspaper when I'm travelling, and ideally I'd like there to be silence. However, I think it's unrealistic to expect quiet on public transport. People will be talking with their friends, talking on their mobiles or listening to music. A quiet carriage is the exception, not the norm.

With my earplugs I can have silence on my terms. It's much more realistic than expecting a carriage of complete strangers with their own lives to keep the noise down.

:)

A friend of mine uses these noice-cancelling headphones with his ipod. Not only are these better quality than standard headphones, they also reduce external noises by up to 30dB even when he's not listening to music.

The downside is that the headphones cost around £100.

Bump

I'll be making my journey on heavenly public transport in about an hour from now

I've use the Supertram 2 times a day & 5 times a week for almost 18 months it has to be said the 'real' annoyance which I have been told isn't just the UK but most western countries are those and this isn't as observed just 14 year olds playing what can only be described as sub standard music on there mobys on speaker phone, going back and forth especially on the Supertram most other passengers seem to be tolerant (I personally am not but I’ve had some sort of personal anti-stress device for along time) even though I expect most 'other' passengers prefer a more pleasurable listening experience.

Apple's ipod (not including the new style headphones (5.5G ipods) I don't know about these) have since there creation come with what can only be described as public unfriendly headphones after years of owning an Mp3 player of various types (I have only been an actual Ipod user for 3 weeks) the supplied headphones are pretty awful and leak sound like the levee did during hurricane Katrina. Those of us in the know dump the supplied headphones faster than SY99 can catch a car thief. A fact I have never used the supplied headphones not only for there 'leaking' qualities but also for there not so good ability to faithfully reproduce our beloved music.

Investing in another set of cans pays dividends. The relatively low cost (in comparison to what the device cost) of purchasing another set means everyone wins.

As the previous posting by BasilRathbon states noise cancelling headphones are a god send to other fellow travellers but there are trade offs with most of these types of headphones and as quoted at 50% of the cost for example an Ipod these are deemed to be relatively expensive and maybe economically outside what people can afford.

Interestingly the hardcore element of our society that uses public transport, you know the ones they have what appears to be 'huge' studio type cans on there heads usually are the ones that have most sound insulation sit next to one of these fellows and note .... almost silence (with reference to the background noise of the tram).

I don't expect anyone else to be forced to listen to my sublime musical experience especially as everyone knows the tinny output that can be heard not to mention the health problems listening to music at excessive volumes.

I tested my phones today that’s to say I set them to a desired level and removed them from my ears at around 15cm from my head I could here nothing.

Yeah ban the irritating things on public transport:)

Yeah like the drivers :suspect:

Oh woe, woe and thrice woe, those wanting blissful silence (or at least something approaching it....) may as well go and shoot themselves. Why ? Well I was in Marks and Spencers (that paradigm of the middle class silent majority, pun intended) the other day and they were selling an M & S branded toy car badged as a "BOOM BOOM CAR".

Gordon Bennet we`ll have a generation of kids growing up thinking blaring music from their cars is normal, as opposed to the reality that it`s not only anti-social but it makes them look like people with learning disabilities..... sorry, that`s an insult to people with learning disabilities.....

To be honest I went off M & S a bit when I discovered that the purse I`d bought for my wife (for £15) was made in bleedin` China ! Marks probably paid about £1.50 for it, that`s what I call a profit margin. No wonder they`re making so much money now....

(Noise Abatement Society http://www.noiseabatementsociety.com )

I was reading my book on the bus yesterday (yes I sound like a geek, do on say it, but it's a really good book) and I got to a really upsetting bit and had to put it down just in case I welled up on the bus and this awful foreign guy and his girlfriend sat behind me, talking sooo loud and THEN, he puts music from his mobile on and it was this awful foreign dance track as loud as he could get it, it's sooo not what I wanna hear in the morning, grr! lol

xx

I had my stereo on fairly loud this morning and I could still hear two women behind me discussing their friend who was "acting like a whore" and almost all of the kids infront of me who were talking general kid rubbish.

So I doubt anyone would have heard my stereo over that lot.

I've started freaking out people listening to personal stereos on trains by staring at them, mouthing obscenities and pulling momentary funny faces.