Why are our children getting fatter?

I think the main reason our kids are getting fatter is because their parents are too lazy to give them a proper meal.

In their eyes it's far less effort to stick some chips on than it is to make a fresh meal with vegetables.

I also think parents find it easier to avoid saying no. If their kid is screaming because he/she wants a chocolate bar then they give in because they can't be arsed to listen to them crying.

People are wild animals in reality. We arn't supposed to live this way. In our natural habitat we would travel around in small groups like nomads, hunting for our food, picking berries from the earth and the like.

Precisely. The other thing worth mentioning is that humans retain fat as a coping strategy to buffer through lean times. You never knew where the next impala was coming from. Crash dieting just makes your body think that your group has not made a kill for a while, so it conserves your existing energy reserve (fat), expecting a long drought or something. This is the reason that 'dieting' is a bad idea. You should concentrate on a changed lifestyle, and possibly less pies.

and possibly less pies

i just cant give up Pukka pies though!! I love beef and onion, and the meat and potato. My other half calls me pie muncher. :rolleyes: But so far I've managed to mostly fend off the dreaded wobbles.

Now if pies ran around in the wild and I had to chase them to eat them, then I would be the fittest li'l lass in Sheffield!!! :D

A brilliant plan, though the 'meat and potato' pie sounds a bit vague.

Could be anything in there. Incentivise the running around, and if releasing pies into the wild is the only solution, then we will all have to live with the consequences. The Peak could be easily adapted into an ideal habitat for wild pies. Several varieties prefer to nest in acid upland heath-type areas. Long walks could then be rewarded by scoffing, rather than just sore legs.

I agree with it being to do with the use of cars nowadays, if kids had to walk everywhere they would naturally burn off calories and so would their fat parents.

My daughter used to go to a playgroup in a village - everyone who went there lived qithin half a mile of the playgroup, nearly all of them drove there and they would drive their 4x4s right up the dirt track to the door of the playgroup running over the other kids who playing about outside.That was down south though, I have noticed up here loads of parents do actually take their kids out in buggies, they don't know what those are for in the south:)

the image of 4*4's crunching over hoards of kids to reach the nursery makes me chuckle. But i'm not really a kid kinda person.

Everything said on this thread recently is pretty much spot on. I just wanted to comment on the idea of 'natural' humans wearing skins. That still requires the use of tools and a level of intelligence beyond any other animal we've ever observed. More likely we'd be running around naked eating carrion and berries.

On the downside, you'd be an old man if you lived to 30, and you'd probably have children by the age of 14 if you were female.

The idea of the noble savage is a lapsarkian fantasy.

Originally posted by Hippy

(Partial amount quoted)

When I was at school (16 years ago) all the local kids walked. Buses were used for the kids from the surrounding areas. Lifts to school were very rare.

People of the age range that is in this discussion - 15/16 will walk because they can have a quick cigi on the way - especially if they don't want there parents to be aware.

At school, I either got the bus or a lift - I couldn't really be bothered. to walk :P (Notice how the thread is about kids and not being assed to walk) however, i am not fat. - hardly walk from the equivilent of Psalter Lane to High Storrs (about 25 mins drive) yes? Ish... I walked once - on a really hot day it took me around an hour at "normal" walking pace.

But when I move onto college I may walk - only around 10 minuites away.

Alex

Kids are getting fatter because they're bone idle.

There was one fat kid at my school so everyone bullied him about his weight. As a result he decided to shead the weight, now he's much thiner and happier.

I therefore suggest bullying.

I keep a pack of chocolate bars in my car. When I pass an obese person I wind down the window and throw one at them. They get the message, I feel as though I'm doing my bit for the NHS.

Originally posted by dylan_61

Kids are getting fatter because they're bone idle.

There was one fat kid at my school so everyone bullied him about his weight. As a result he decided to shead the weight, now he's much thiner and happier.

I therefore suggest bullying.

I keep a pack of chocolate bars in my car. When I pass an obese person I wind down the window and throw one at them. They get the message, I feel as though I'm doing my bit for the NHS.

Are you always brain dead or is it something you practice !!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by owdlad

Are you always brain dead or is it something you practice !!!!!!!!!!

Attacking me wont solve the problem.

By the way I don't have chocolates in my car.

Obesity is like many other personal weeknesses. If you accept it's okay then more people will get fat and become miserable.

The fat kid at school is a true story. The taunts gave him the encouragement to improve his personal fitness level and hopefully also increase his life expectancy.

So why tell lies about the chocolate then; I suppose you feel really good about bullying, and just because in your perfect world that kid didn't fit into your idea of an ideal size you and your mates (there is never just one bully) decide to bully him and then think your big and clever to have made their life a misery until they fitted into your scheme of things. what next the crippled kid who cant run or the black lad whos skin is a different colour or maybe the jewish kid because his religion doesn't fit in. As for attacking you that's exactly what the kid at school should have done.

I'm sure there are more kids who have killed themselves or suffered a miserable childhood through bullying about their weight than those who have done something about it.