The Sheffield Student Agenda for September 2006

in your profile it lists wwe as an interest.

and you want me to take your comment seriously?

seriously?

it wasnt a personal insult as such

the name 'hecate' is some kind of greek goddess of fertility hense my go and multiply comment!

i thought a student would have found that funny!

Given that hecate isn't a student, why should she?

Stop being offensive - you seem to be trolling this thread for a reaction or two, you've succeeded, now just pack it in.

Ah well, hopefully many of these students will come down to Sheffield beer festival next weekend and drink lots of beer (ideally not vomit though....)

should that be funky or funnymiss......

its the way you tell them

bye

"45,000 student loans to spend"... to spend in this city. I'm sure this has been debated on this forum before and I haven't the time or energy to argue in defence of students, needless to say, imagine what our city would be like if they vanished overnight. It wouldn't be good. In my opinion.

A student of economics should be able to estimate the effect on the local economy of removing 45,000 students (who I assume would mostly have a low income and a high marginal propensity to consume) and all the staff at both universities (who I assume would mostly have a higher income and a lower propensity to consume). However, if you don't want to be bothered with an econometric analysis of the scenario here's an easier way to look at it.

Do you remember what the east end of Sheffield was like in the early 1980's? If you closed the universities the west end of Sheffield would soon look like that.

Ah well, hopefully many of these students will come down to Sheffield beer festival next weekend and drink lots of beer (ideally not vomit though....)

Hope not. THe less people there, the better - more beer for me and more space to get to it!!!!!!

I imagine most of the freshers won't appreciate real ale. There must be some discerning students though :)

Guest Mod_Man

I walk through Crookes / Broomhill quite often at around 8:50 and i must say "let em come" especially the laydees. They seem to get prettier and prettier. Makes me wish i was 10 years younger. Female students of Sheffield I welcome you. Oh alright the male ones are welcome too.

P.S. I used to dislike students. I was a fool. Let em enjoy it whilst they're young.

Some students behave like idiots - some don't. They are like any group of people, some will be irresponsible and some won't. However, their youth and the removal of parental control gives them some excuse, and most of them will grow into working, taxpaying individuals. I think they should enjoy themselves whilst they can - as long as they're not sick near me!

"45,000 student loans to spend"... to spend in this city. I'm sure this has been debated on this forum before and I haven't the time or energy to argue in defence of students, needless to say, imagine what our city would be like if they vanished overnight. It wouldn't be good. In my opinion.

Finally some common sense. I'm concerned Sheffield is getting a reputation as a 'local place for local people'. Students are hated, the bike race was hated, new skyscrapers are hated, just about any kind of change is generally hated.

Students are great! Freshers are greater! I'm doing a PhD at Shef Uni and it's soooo much fun watching all the little freshers wandering about with their maps, puzzled faces and gang of new friends.

Awww, bless.

People like dav_hills are so closed minded it's stupid. The simple fact of the matter is not all students are bad/loud/direspectful people. I don't go shouting my head off at 3AM to wake people up. I don't vomit at people. I have respect for people (i.e. I always say please/thanks, hold doors open for people etc) which evidently he doesn't.

People with degrees (who do take it seriously) are more likely to earn around 150-200k more, in there working lifetime, than people without degrees. How do you suggest we go about getting a degree without becoming a student?

Not to mention the fact we bring in massive amounts of money each year to Sheffield. Take my home town of Coventry for instance. The nightlife there is rubbish as there isn't that much of a student population. Universities make Cities a lot more vibrant.

I agree that some students do take it for granted and mess about but at the end of the day the majority are more respectful than given credit for.