Did you ever live in Firvale?

Hi Jossman - Did you know my brother, Robert Larkins, b. May, 1945. He also went to Owler Lane, along with Neville Crinson, who lived on Popple Street?

my brother and me both grew up at page hall before moving out of the area in the late 70"s it was ok but declined rapidly loved it then but would demolish it now!!!

I used to rent a top floor attic in No 337 Barnsley Road in the Sixties it's about 100 yards up from the Hostpital gate...It was £4 per week...The landlord was a Frenchman..We used to stick the wallpaper with drawing pins co's the walls were so damp...And shared the bathroom with four other families...We were glad when we moved to Hyde Park so we could live in luxury by comparison.

I grew up in fir vale/ page hall 1975 -2002. the best thing i did was move away. My parents still live there its horrible seeing the state of the area when we go to see them.

I lived on Owler Lane until 9 years ago. I have to say that I loved it although it was a pain when some of my favourite shops closed down, like the DIY place and the wool shop. The people on either side of me in my yard were all Pakistani and really nice. One lady at the end used to send over plates of the most amazing food - apparently something that is a custom if they have more food than they can eat. I used to teach English to another family in the yard as well.

Its a shame to hear it is going downhill, I was thinking of moving back that way.

Its a shame to hear it is going downhill, I was thinking of moving back that way.

the fact that its going downhill is others opinions if you liked it then dont let others put you off. i know a young (english)couple who live there and thay like it.

i lived on firth park rd fron 71 till 87 ish remember bill bevers, the hardware shop, liptons, dr mcavoys which is now a barbers(i think), the post office nr liptons (think the ppeople who had it had a son in my yr at school) the pet shop on corner of skinnerthorpe, the bakers opposite mmmm lovley buns, can anyone remember what the shop on the corner of little bolsover was before it turned into a dodgy cafe, also on there was a small garage.

the fact that its going downhill is others opinions if you liked it then dont let others put you off. i know a young (english)couple who live there and thay like it.

i lived on firth park rd fron 71 till 87 ish remember bill bevers, the hardware shop, liptons, dr mcavoys which is now a barbers(i think), the post office nr liptons (think the ppeople who had it had a son in my yr at school) the pet shop on corner of skinnerthorpe, the bakers opposite mmmm lovley buns, can anyone remember what the shop on the corner of little bolsover was before it turned into a dodgy cafe, also on there was a small garage.

it was a chemist for many years then a car spares run by the proprietor of popes hardware shops son.. the two garages one was owned by bill beevers the other was run by a lawnmower repair man the clothes shop next door was shut down and turned into a sauna then shut down again very quickly!!!

We had the garage on Herries Road, from 83-99

Firvale Motorist Centre with Bee Windscreens Next Door

Hi Brailz did any one in your household keep running dogs in the eighties??

Just revisited this thread...

Yep! We had lurchers which lived in kennels on the back garden.

I've only just picked up on this thread and it brought back memories. I used to frequent Tony's cafe in the early sixties, usually on a Sunday afternoon for some reason or other. I loved playing the pinball machines and drinking gallons of Coke. Later on I met my wife in the Cannon Hall pub. We loved that pub, great people and some good entertainment . I met many friends there. We eventually got married at St Cuthberts in 1970. Then we lived on Barnsley Road until 1986. My late mum lived in the flats at the back of the Cannon Hall. We used to go to the Chinese restaurant (which is now a chinese take away) at the junction of Barnsley Road and Herries Road. We used to think it was great having a Chinese restaurant on our doorstep. Looking back it was a lovely area in those days but like so many others have said, it is pretty awful around there now. I don't live all that far away now and pass through Firvale all the time, but I'm glad to be passing through and not living there. Just to mention the names Robert Larkin and Nev Crinson, I remember the names but just can't put any faces to them after all this time.

Hi, i work at the dentists on Blyde rd, just wondered if anyone has any info about it as my colleagues and I suspect its haunted. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thankyou.

Hi, i work at the dentists on Blyde rd, just wondered if anyone has any info about it as my colleagues and I suspect its haunted. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thankyou.

i think i was treated by a bloke there called richard i had more problems after he'd touched my teeth than what i started with

Well how long ago is that? He doesnt work there anymore! I want to know what the building was before it became the dentist. There is am old stone wall at the back with what looks like a gate post like there was a big house or something before all the houses were built. Just wondered if anyone knew?