Did you ever live in Firvale?

On 26/06/2014 at 10:30, rebrab said:

In the 1950's I was born and lived in Idsworth Road, straight opposite the WM Club. We would make a few bob out of the punters starting about mid-October doing "penny for the guy". There was also a place called Roxy's further down the road. It had been a cinema but was some sort of club "when I were a lad".

There was a shop called McGregor's at the bottom on the junction with Firth Park Road where we would buy spice.

Me Mum used to buy fire-lighters and bundles of sticks from Pope's to light the coal fire, before Sheffield went smokeless :gag:.

Must have been a Co-op somewhere. Can't remember where but can still remember my Mum's check number. Not going to say what it was 'cos I don't want somebody else getting our divi' :suspect:

Me and me brother used to sail a home made boat on the boating lake, next to Firth Park Library. Went to Hucklow Road school and we were in "The Life Boys" (Boys Brigade juniors) which used to meet in a John Wesleyan chapel down at Grimesthorpe.

I also lived on Idsworth Road at no4 next to Stan Mcgregors. I too have memories off penny for guy outside the working man's club.My name is Paul Berry.My father was called Peter he was on the committee there i went to Hucklow Road School.Had a good mate named Sylvester Jemmet who lived just up the road from us.My family emigrated to  Canada. 

On 27/08/2022 at 03:03, gaz 786 said:

I also lived at page Hall flat above Daveys bakers from a young age up until the late 70s  yes it was a great area but sadly now in decline heartbreaking place to visit nowadays!

Was that the bakery on either Page Hall Road or Owler Lane (on the left going towards Upwell Street) with the 'Hovis' sign above the window ?

19 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Remember you well and your bro Gary also remember Winston Robinson your neighbour good old days pal !

Can you reveal your name pls.And where did you live and as you said they were good old days.Do you remember kids outing from the club every year.Idsworth road was like a coach car park.

My Grandparents lived in Page Hall, on Lloyd Street, from  when they married, i believe 1950 up until they passed away (my Nan in 2010 and my Grandad in 2014) my Dad and Uncle also grew up there, my Dad was born October 1956, went to Owler Lane, Grimesthorpe and back to Owler Lane.

My Dad then lived next door to my Grandparents whenb he first married my Mum, then they moved to Wincobank, still there now.

On 31/08/2022 at 15:21, Idsworth456 said:

Can you reveal your name pls.And where did you live and as you said they were good old days.Do you remember kids outing from the club every year.Idsworth road was like a coach car park.

Hi I remember the club trips from Idsworth Road, 100's of kids decending on Skeggy, great times

My Grandad was a taxi driver, his own car private taxi, it was licenced and people would phone the house to book him, he would do airport runs for people, to Luton or Manchester and other places too.

They lived on Lloyd Street in Page Hall.

On 14/10/2022 at 10:06, gaz 786 said:

It's a ghetto now would not reside there for free it's also riddled with a plague of rats 

Agreed. My Grandparent's are both now sadly passed away, wasn't too bad when they were there, I drove down there recently as my kids wanted to know where old family members lived etc, it's horrific now that area. Such a sad shame to see how it's become when I have so many good childhood memories there.