Did you ever live in Firvale?

I am collecting information on the history and changes in the Firvale area. Do you live there now or did you live there before? I'm new to the area so I wonder how much has changed.

It would be wonderful to hear any of your stories, however short.

thanks

x

I used to love exploring Page Hall (the building I assume the area gets it's name from) when it was boarded up. It had a croquet lawn! I think it's student flats nowadays. There were stables and servants quarters accessable from Bolsover Road, they were demolished and an old people's home was built on the site. There was an old air raid shelter or something at the back of what became the Bank of Pakistan that we used to use as a den, that's been long since concreted over. I lived on Firth Park Road, would've been early to mid 80s.

Dont go there pal, its a ****ing disgrace and like being in another country:thumbsup:

going back to c.1984 - my mum used to have a printers shop at the top of owler lane - we lived over the shop ... its now part of Hussain bros shop. i never had any issues with the area - the neighbours were polite and helpful ... we knew most of the people in the area and the cultures seemed to mix ok. At the other side of our shop was Socketts electrical - think that shut down a good few years ago. Further back down owler lane was a co-op and a wool shop...think there was a travel agents and a butchers?

i used to go out with a guy who lived across the road from us on firth park road ... he lived in the upstairs flat of a converted house - in the downstairs was a very wierd bloke who had a carpet up to the window and used to wander round the house wearing a loincloth :D

I met my wife in the Cannon Hall pub in 1962, it was a great place for the bands in the 60's, we were going to buy a big house after getting married at Pagehall & rent some rooms out until it was paid for, but decided to emigrate instead, what a bloody good choice we made.

Firvale infirmary was a workhouse in the old days where the homeless stayed, and Tony's Cafe at Firvale was like the coffee shop in Happy Days the old TV series.

Does anyone remember Jeff & Christine who owned a shop just below the Firth Park Hotel around 1965.

Firvale - known for the Workhouse, became the City General hospital, now the Northern General, had a brilliant social club with football teams etc. Next to the Cannon Hall pub was the Sunbeam cinema, can't remember when it was demolished 60s? Behind that area were allotments stretching back to Osgahorpe Hall. I recall the Hall was owned by possibly a military family and there summer garden parties in the 50s. Firvale was a busy shopping area with a Co-op.

It is a hole. Should be filled in like the one in the town centre was. AWFUL place.

Grew up on Horndean Road from 1980 to 2003 ish.

Really enjoyed growing up in Firvale/Page Hall/Grimesthorpe/Firth Park in the 1980's. Would'nt fancy it much now though :o

R8 Brailz how are u.Used to have some good laughs with you and your dad in St Cuthberts. Which one are you m or c

It used to be quite nice in Fir Vale, - these cottages stood on Barnsley road, opposite the end of Skinnerthorpe road :)

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s06133

That's not me with the donkey cart BTW, - it's me Dad :P

It used to be quite nice in Fir Vale, - these cottages stood on Barnsley road, opposite the end of Skinnerthorpe road :)

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s06133

That's not me with the donkey cart BTW, - it's me Dad :P

what date is that pic from greybeard?