Did you ever live in Firvale?

dose anyone else remember playing in the woods next to the cannon hall pub think the kids use to call it the haunted

I lived in Page Hall/Fir vale 1950 - 1972.. My paper round was first at Barstows on Ellerton Rd, then  later I was in the shop while he and his "companion" delivered papers round Northern Gen.  ( "10 Park Drive and a Star love"). Moved when the shop went to Page Hall, near the old fashioned tobacconist.
Went to Hucklow Rd school and St Cuthbert's.. spent half my life there.. Sunday School, Brownies, Whit sings round NGH , tea and games in church hall after races in Longley Park. 
Still have  the wool pattern from the Wool shop at Fir vale - my first knitting - a Mary Quant pattern.

Lots of Page Hall memories too.. liberty bodices from the very grand Co-op Drapers ( then Pope's) with the tube for the money going back to the cashier; everything in beautiful wooden drawers and glass fronted cabinets...; lusting after Rimmel lipsticks at Co-op chemist on corner of Little Bolsover (everything was 1/6d); hiding under the seat at the nasty Queen with the apple in Snow White at the cinema on Idsworth; glass fronted biccie tins at McGregors and also at Mr Picks (strange name?) grocers halfway up the other bit of Bolsover on the corner.; the butcher's on Bolsover, halfway up - my mum told me not to sit on the butcher's boy's knee on the "road trip" to the seaside which we had every year.. I didn't know why... .. the mystery of Page Hall with its private large entrance, a no go.... then it was an orphanage.. (hints of kids' story books where all orphans were mistreated.)... . going "up the bank" on Cammell Road, lots of rose bay willow herb,  and over to Firth Park library to get books, (oh joy) or see film shows at night.. wandering to Wincobank to pick blackberries.. .. a friend in brownies, - her bro had drowned in a brick pit there.. danger and mystery everywhere.. enough for now.. have some pics from then.. 

9 hours ago, PageHall-er said:

I lived in Page Hall/Fir vale 1950 - 1972.. My paper round was first at Barstows on Ellerton Rd, then  later I was in the shop while he and his "companion" delivered papers round Northern Gen.  ( "10 Park Drive and a Star love"). Moved when the shop went to Page Hall, near the old fashioned tobacconist.
Went to Hucklow Rd school and St Cuthbert's.. spent half my life there.. Sunday School, Brownies, Whit sings round NGH , tea and games in church hall after races in Longley Park. 
Still have  the wool pattern from the Wool shop at Fir vale - my first knitting - a Mary Quant pattern.

Lots of Page Hall memories too.. liberty bodices from the very grand Co-op Drapers ( then Pope's) with the tube for the money going back to the cashier; everything in beautiful wooden drawers and glass fronted cabinets...; lusting after Rimmel lipsticks at Co-op chemist on corner of Little Bolsover (everything was 1/6d); hiding under the seat at the nasty Queen with the apple in Snow White at the cinema on Idsworth; glass fronted biccie tins at McGregors and also at Mr Picks (strange name?) grocers halfway up the other bit of Bolsover on the corner.; the butcher's on Bolsover, halfway up - my mum told me not to sit on the butcher's boy's knee on the "road trip" to the seaside which we had every year.. I didn't know why... .. the mystery of Page Hall with its private large entrance, a no go.... then it was an orphanage.. (hints of kids' story books where all orphans were mistreated.)... . going "up the bank" on Cammell Road, lots of rose bay willow herb,  and over to Firth Park library to get books, (oh joy) or see film shows at night.. wandering to Wincobank to pick blackberries.. .. a friend in brownies, - her bro had drowned in a brick pit there.. danger and mystery everywhere.. enough for now.. have some pics from then.. 

Hi There Page Hall - er,  I lived on Bolsover road  between 1950 to 1970  (when I got married) I can relate to just about everything you have mentioned. I knew the lad that drowned, his sister was Anne and they had a brother who's name I can't remember now. When I got married I bought a house on Barnsley road, just around the corner from Bolsover road. I lived there till 1986. I went to Hucklow Road  school and then Hinde House. Happy memories of those years. Unfortunately that area is now one of the worst in Sheffield. How times have changed. Please send me some more of your memories. it would be lovely to remember those days again. Hope we can chat again soon.

My great auntie and uncle lived ar firvale near the traffic lights over the butchers shop George and Edith Timmins

I had driving lessons with roxy school of driving with a guy who’s name was Ray he was great he had a blue  car

10 hours ago, Bowls said:

I had driving lessons with roxy school of driving with a guy who’s name was Ray he was great he had a blue  car

I had lessons from Roxy too about 1963/64. I think car was a Hillman Minx

I have n

5 hours ago, johnpm said:

I had lessons from Roxy too about 1963/64. I think car was a Hillman Minx

I have never been a driver so I can't speak with any great knowledge about driving instructors from that era. However, I do remember Roxy very well. Apart from Roxy and B.S.M. (British school of motoring) I can't think of any others at that time.

The car i was thinking of war a viva can anyone remember the garden in Owler Lane Sec School at side of the prefabes in the 50s60s 

On 27/09/2021 at 17:15, Bowls said:

The car i was thinking of war a viva can anyone remember the garden in Owler Lane Sec School at side of the prefabes in the 50s60s 

remember the garden well, a mate and I were done for truancy and our parents fined, mr godfrey the head master {after we said we didn't seem to be taught much] said we could look after the schoolgarden. had a lovely greenhouse with a wood burner stove and a dart board but often could not see the board due to cigarette smoke, happy days but rip pete & pete  { 1952/53}

Edited by kinjuro
add date

Hi all 

I lived in Page Hall from 1964 to 1981 & have to say it was a great place to  grow in during this time, we lived on Hinde House Lane 4 kids in the family 3 boys & 1 girl, we all went to Firs Hill then to Firth Park school. We were all members of Fir Vale Methodists church & I had 7 happy years as a member of 2nd Sheffield Boys Brigade.

There were loads of kids growing up in the same area & was never short of things to do or friends to do them with.

We had friends from Page Hall, Fir Vale, Firs Hill, Grimesthorpe, Whiteways, Firth Park & Shiregreen, so got into trouble in all of those areas!!

Don't go back to the old area anymore but I'm aware it not the place it used to be which is such a same, it was a great place to grow up. 

12 hours ago, Joe1096 said:

Hi all 

I lived in Page Hall from 1964 to 1981 & have to say it was a great place to  grow in during this time, we lived on Hinde House Lane 4 kids in the family 3 boys & 1 girl, we all went to Firs Hill then to Firth Park school. We were all members of Fir Vale Methodists church & I had 7 happy years as a member of 2nd Sheffield Boys Brigade.

There were loads of kids growing up in the same area & was never short of things to do or friends to do them with.

We had friends from Page Hall, Fir Vale, Firs Hill, Grimesthorpe, Whiteways, Firth Park & Shiregreen, so got into trouble in all of those areas!!

Don't go back to the old area anymore but I'm aware it not the place it used to be which is such a same, it was a great place to grow up. 

Hi Joe, I grew up at 97 Hinde House Lane 1944 to 1968 when I got married. I was in 53rd BB at Grimesthorpe Reform Chapel but knew Malcolm Cook at 2nd. He became Captain at some stage. Recall going to various BB events at Fir Vale .

John