Did you ever live in Firvale?

Firvale-help,

The building was the Brightside and Carbrook co-operative society shop in the early 1900's. I don't know when it ceased to be that but as Segasonic says, it was Pope's D.I.Y. for quite a few years afterwards. The building across the road from there was also a grand building. It was originally called Peel's Coliseum. They sold three piece suites and furniture items as well as being a drapers shop. In recent years it has been a laundrette.

Firvale-help,

The building was the Brightside and Carbrook co-operative society shop in the early 1900's. I don't know when it ceased to be that but as Segasonic says, it was Pope's D.I.Y. for quite a few years afterwards. The building across the road from there was also a grand building. It was originally called Peel's Coliseum. They sold three piece suites and furniture items as well as being a drapers shop. In recent years it has been a laundrette.

Before popes diy it was patnicks junkerama.

Firvale- Help

it was Brightside & Carbrook co-op from as I remember the forties to the late fifties early sixties, Patnicks second hand shop, and Popes D. I. Y. But don,t remember who had it first.

Hi sexylass

Me and my family lived at the dentists on Blyde Road from approx 1960--67.

The building was occupied by Franklins Decorators, the office and workshop being where your surgery is and the terrace house joined on was my humble abode. My daughter was born in the front bedroom and although we never saw any ghosts,you may be hearing the echoes of my missus in labour!!!! We had some happy times but but would not go back at any cost.

Hope I've been of some help

terryg

It is a hole. Should be filled in like the one in the town centre was. AWFUL place.

And where do you live??.. Buckingham Palace? :loopy:

does anyone know what the halal supermarket on page hall road used to be? its a really grand building, it looks like an old playhouse or something??

It used to be Popes DIY store :thumbsup:

I understand they are knocking down all the houses on Skinnerthorpe Road - has that started yet?

I can confirm that quite afew houses have been knocked down on Skinnerthorpe. It looks really strange now, the rest are boarded up whilst the council sit scratching their ******* about what to do next.

you may as well move to Pakistan you might meet more white folk over there than in firvale

The Pakistani community are much better than the white, chav hoodies that roam the area. :thumbsup:

Dont go there pal, its a ****ing disgrace and like being in another country:thumbsup:

I take it from that comment you never travel abroad then? :loopy::gag:

I was born on Firvale Road in 1946 and lived there until about 1966. Don't know which side Blyde Road you are on but there were some cottages facing Barnsley Road the backs of which would have abutted the Blyde Road houses. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned them and you can see a picture of them at /www.picturesheffield.co.uk. It's a shame they were pulled down. They were very pretty. Not sure about ghosts! I'll ask my brother, he once saw one in the old Cannon Hall (not the pub, the Hall) when it was boarded up and he and his pals used to sneak in, so there may be one or two floating around the area! ttfn

I was born in 1946 and lived in Grimesthorpe. Did you go to Owler Lane and Grimesthorpe school?

Dors.

I can confirm that quite afew houses have been knocked down on Skinnerthorpe. It looks really strange now, the rest are boarded up whilst the council sit scratching their ******* about what to do next.

I had some friends that lived on Skinnerthorpe Rd. in the 60's. Anybody know Valerie Brown, Kathleen Gibson and Jennifer Goodwin?

Dors.

Hello Dors, I went to Hinde House, but my brother Robert Larkins went to Owler Lane. Have I seen your name on the Grimesthorpe link. Do you know Ralph Aspinall? The names you quoted look familiar but I may have heard them mentioned by Rob and Ralph. Sorry just replying but havn't been on forum for a while.