Did you ever live in Firvale?

Well how long ago is that? He doesnt work there anymore! I want to know what the building was before it became the dentist. There is am old stone wall at the back with what looks like a gate post like there was a big house or something before all the houses were built. Just wondered if anyone knew?
about 96-97 when i was registered with them

Well how long ago is that? He doesnt work there anymore! I want to know what the building was before it became the dentist. There is am old stone wall at the back with what looks like a gate post like there was a big house or something before all the houses were built. Just wondered if anyone knew?

I was born on Firvale Road in 1946 and lived there until about 1966. Don't know which side Blyde Road you are on but there were some cottages facing Barnsley Road the backs of which would have abutted the Blyde Road houses. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned them and you can see a picture of them at /www.picturesheffield.co.uk. It's a shame they were pulled down. They were very pretty. Not sure about ghosts! I'll ask my brother, he once saw one in the old Cannon Hall (not the pub, the Hall) when it was boarded up and he and his pals used to sneak in, so there may be one or two floating around the area! ttfn

I've only just picked up on this thread and it brought back memories. I used to frequent Tony's cafe in the early sixties, usually on a Sunday afternoon for some reason or other. I loved playing the pinball machines and drinking gallons of Coke. Later on I met my wife in the Cannon Hall pub. We loved that pub, great people and some good entertainment . I met many friends there. We eventually got married at St Cuthberts in 1970. Then we lived on Barnsley Road until 1986. My late mum lived in the flats at the back of the Cannon Hall. We used to go to the Chinese restaurant (which is now a chinese take away) at the junction of Barnsley Road and Herries Road. We used to think it was great having a Chinese restaurant on our doorstep. Looking back it was a lovely area in those days but like so many others have said, it is pretty awful around there now. I don't live all that far away now and pass through Firvale all the time, but I'm glad to be passing through and not living there. Just to mention the names Robert Larkin and Nev Crinson, I remember the names but just can't put any faces to them after all this time.

I had a friend who played bass in the Climax Jazzmen who had a residency at the Cannon Hall on a midweek night (probably was a Wednesday) in the 1960's. It was nearly always full and a great night.

Did you ever see them?

John

Climax Jazzmen. Another blast from the past. I had forgotten all about them. I wasn't a jazz fan but they were great to listen to. I think they were there on a Wednesday or Thursday night, definitely mid week.

With regards to the dentist being haunted, it is very close to where the old Firvale workhouse was situated. There must have been some funny goings on in there and many people will have died in there. So draw your own conclusions. Working at the dentist, it is a subject you could really get your teeth into.

Well thanks for the information. I work with 2 international dentists and when i showed them the old photo they couldn't believe it was the same place! We were all very interested as some very strange things have happened especially towards the back of the building, which is what would have been the front entrance to the cottages. Actually part of the original wall and gatepost are still there. If anyone else knows of anything i'd be very interested.

Re your ghosts - I've been reading that the cottages once belonged to the Cannon Hall estate and were built to house the grooms. Later became part of the Union Work House. Don't know where I read this, because now I can't find it. I'll post any new info that I come across. I see that Sheffield has a Paranormal Society, perhaps you could invite them over!

I understand they are knocking down all the houses on Skinnerthorpe Road - has that started yet?

Yes, the houses are coming down on Skinnerthorpe Road. Don't know when though. I understand that the shops at the end of the road (junction with Barnsley Road) are coming down as well. This has been common knowledge for a few years now but nobody seems to know when it will happen.

Brooksy,

My word!!!!!

you been born and raised around it all my frind........ Sunny Attercliffe and all....come on

I've only just picked up on this thread and it brought back memories. I used to frequent Tony's cafe in the early sixties, usually on a Sunday afternoon for some reason or other. I loved playing the pinball machines and drinking gallons of Coke. Later on I met my wife in the Cannon Hall pub. We loved that pub, great people and some good entertainment . I met many friends there. We eventually got married at St Cuthberts in 1970. Then we lived on Barnsley Road until 1986. My late mum lived in the flats at the back of the Cannon Hall. We used to go to the Chinese restaurant (which is now a chinese take away) at the junction of Barnsley Road and Herries Road. We used to think it was great having a Chinese restaurant on our doorstep. Looking back it was a lovely area in those days but like so many others have said, it is pretty awful around there now. I don't live all that far away now and pass through Firvale all the time, but I'm glad to be passing through and not living there. Just to mention the names Robert Larkin and Nev Crinson, I remember the names but just can't put any faces to them after all this time.

I met my husband in the Canon Hall in 1963. I loved it. Loved the bands and the company. Most people were regulars and you got to know them quite well. Stopped going as much after we were married and had kids, but still have many happy memories. I had friends that lived on Skinnerthorpe Rd. and at that time it was considered quite a nice area. I haven't been in the UK since 1970 so I'm sure that I would see a big change.

Dors.

does anyone know what the halal supermarket on page hall road used to be? its a really grand building, it looks like an old playhouse or something??

It was Pope's D.I.Y. for many years, not sure what it was before that though.