Did you ever live in Firvale?

what date is that pic from greybeard?

Dunno, - but St. Cuthbert's church which you would now see immediately behind the donkey cart was built in 1903 I think. I believe the Cannon Hall cottages were demolished in the early 60s.

R8 Brailz how are u.Used to have some good laughs with you and your dad in St Cuthberts. Which one are you m or c

I'm M :hihi: Who are u? PM me :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My recollection of Firvale (70s - early 80s) that is was thriving community. I lived on Earl Marshal so used to pass through Firvale all the time. As well as the shops mentioned in previous posts there was a baker on the intersection of Selby Road and Hinde House Lane, a pet shop (known as budgies) on the intersection of Bagley Road and Owler Lane, another shop (I think is was a sweet shop on the other side of Bagley Road. Wasn't there a Post Office near Sockets?

Demographics of the area was mixed and I cannot recall any trouble.

All down Owler Lane were back to back houses. Cannot remember when they got demolished.. On Rushby Street was a chip shop. I know this as it was once run by a school mate of mine's (Ping Lee) parents. I vaguely recall a small hardware type shop on either Rushby street or Heathcote Street.

Samsmum, I think I remember that house that had a carpet in the Window. Always thought it was totally weird. I knew the people who lived in the first house on Firth Park Road, next to St Cuthberts.

I grew up in Fir Vale from 1946 until about 1966. It was a really nice neighborhood then. My parents had a greengrocery shop on Barnsley Road and we lived over and behind it. There was a chip shop below us (Cockings) and a Department store further down where they would send your money through an air shute and I liked to watch it travelling across the shop ceiling.

Used to go in Tony's Cafe in early teens trying to act grown up. I would always have a lovely greasy burger and a Vimto. Saw Joe Cocker at St. Cuthberts Youth Club - remember him singing Georgia with his eyes closed. We weren't too impressed. We were into Rock and Roll!

There was also a spooky house next to the Sunbeam. Perhaps it is were the Cannon Hall pub is now. My brother and his pal saw a ghost there - a lady in a long dress on the stair landing. He still sticks to his story.

Anyway - many more memories of the neighborhood. This will do for now.

you wouldn't want to live there now omg

My Great aunt and uncle lived on Fir Vale over a butchers think it was close to where the computer shop is (think it is IN STEP). They were called George and Edith Timmins (around60's to 70's)

I grew up around Firvale, living on Earl Marshal Rd until I got married then we bought a house on Addison Rd. The Cannon Hall pub was the centre of the universe for me and my brother for many years, I think we must have bought that pool table a hundred times over. I recently returned to the area with my kids, hoping to get a couple of pints in at the Cannon Hall, devistated I was. At least the shops were still open even if they had changed hands. I didn't recognise any one I knew from back in the 70s - 80s though.

I attended Owler Lane Secondary Intermediate as it was in 1955. The streets were clean and the houses neat, all with donkey stoned steps. I then lived in Poppel St. in the early 90's and found that Page Hall was where they stuck the enema in Sheffield. We didn't last long and moved further up to Hucklow Rd. The place is disgusting and I feel very sorry for those who have to live there.

Hi Jossman - Did you know my brother, Robert Larkins, b. May, 1945. He also went to Owler Lane, along with Neville Crinson, who lived on Popple Street?

Hi Jossman - Did you know my brother, Robert Larkins, b. May, 1945. He also went to Owler Lane, along with Neville Crinson, who lived on Popple Street?

I remember both names but unfortunately they were not in my form. I lived at Hillsborough when I attended Owler Lane School. I lived on Popple St. temporarily in the early 90's.

you may as well move to Pakistan you might meet more white folk over there than in firvale

I'm M :hihi: Who are u? PM me :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi Brailz did any one in your household keep running dogs in the eighties??