The Esquire Club

Had some great times at the Esquire! Even got to shake the hand of Karl Perkins,didn't mean much at the time,but the guy goes down in the annals of popular music as one of the Million Dollar Quartet.

Also there the night Steampacket played.......Long John Baldry introduced Rod Stewart to the stage,Rod did great renditions of Up Above My Head and I've Got A Tiger By The Tail.

More often than not after the last set of the night, we would run into Pond Street to catch the last bus home and a lesson in expletives from Pond Street Nora.

Well yes there probably isn't a person who was a teenager in the 60s who won't tell you it simply was the best time to be alive. Everything seemed possible. The world was changing and it was looking like it was for the better.

Now in our late 60s we realise that the hope faded fast but our memories of those magical days still live on. We were the luckiest of generations in so many ways.

How right you are.The best of everything was at our finger tips.Jobs,Money,Clothes.and the best music ever.I worked at Walter Fox And Partners which was bang next door to the Esquire and is now the Leadmil club.We used to go on the top floor of Foxes and there was a gap that you could look through and see inside the club.We used to sit there and listen to the bands rehearsing for the gigs at night.We used to get a free show.Happy Happy days,wish I could bring them back.

Thank you.

Remember visiting T.T. when he had just taken over the building and he was sawing through the floorboards by hand to make a balcony to overlook the performing area. He could do anything with wood and would have a go at anything. He trained as a pattern maker at Davys engineering which is the ultimate in woodworking. Saw two antique experts in a Bakewell shop arguing whether a Welsh dresser he had made was early or late 1800s. Sad ending to a very accomplished man.

sadly jimmy powell died may 13 you can leave a message on the expats section they will all be sent to his family next week thank you

I'm putting together a list of all pop/rock gigs in Sheffield, 5000+ entries so far. I have bought the Hale/Tompson book about the Esquire club, but sadly there are no concert dates and I can't find them on the web. I can find who played there, but does anyone have actual show dates?

http://sheffieldmusicarchive.co.uk/sma-gig-list/

On 25/07/2008 at 17:29, mikeG said:

I thought he was born on Tasker Road, Crookes.

It's an old post I know but Joe was born in Crookes, went to the same school as me. It was Dave Berry (David Grundy) who was born in Beighton. I dated his sister Julia for a short while, until he found out LOL!

Had posters such as me hadn’t received lifetime bans for god knows what, threads like this would still be alive and kicking, the idiots on admin got just what they deserved.

Bolsterstone Choir Sang There Every Xmas in the80s