Is it worth joining a slimming club?

I have done slimming world for just over 3 years, i re-joined when my little girl was 7 weeks old. I am 1lb away from having lost 2 and half stone. Before i had my little girl i went to the gym but didnt loose anything as i didnt change the way i ate. I really enjoy going to class and have met some good friends, the tips you get from other members is worth staying to class as well as the social side.

I tried to do it on my own and it didn't work. I then joined weight watchers and loved it!! I find the meetings and the weigh-ins really help me and spurr me on, also you can get lots of tips too, its well worth the £4.95 a week.

I never really had time to attend clubs so i joined weight loss resources on the internet. It is only £9 a month and I learnt a lot about the food I was eating and the contents of it. There is a message board too so you aren't really going it alone. It has a free trial if you fancy alook that doesn't ask for any credit card details or anything.

Seriously, dont bother paying for a slimming club. Just get off your lardy bum and go walking and eat healthily.

There are no quick fixes, people like you are just to lazy to put the effort in, and think that if you join a slimming club it will be done for you. Wrong.

ignorant sod!!

anyhow,

not that i dont walk anywhere i do and i also have a physical job, believe it or not i do also eat regular freshly cooked well prepared meals( very occassionally we may order a curry takeaway). i have a small daughter who is VERY active so chasing after her keeps me pretty active, my problem is since having my daughter i have gradually put on weight, i used to be a size 12 but have gone up a couple of sizes since then. i agree i need to excersize a bit more, hence going to the gym again.

i am by no means lazy!

I'd suggest going to the gym 2 or 3 times a week if you have time...Don't waste your money on slimmimg clubs..buy a Cross Trainer or an exercise bike with the money instead.

January 2005 I decided I needed to shift 3 stone, but didn't fancy the gym...so I bought myself a Cross Trainer to use at home, started up doing just 5 minutes at a time, 3 or 4 times a day then gradually built up to half an hour, usually doing it while watching a music channel or the soaps to ease the boredom..I also bought one of those frames that you lie back on for abs, they are great IF YOU USE THEM..I did some every hour, I could only do 3 or 4 the first time but then after a few weeks you find you can do 100+...:thumbsup:

By May I'd lost 3 stone and needed another challenge, so I joined the gym, ME at a gym!!...if you'd have told me that 5 months previous I'd have laughed in your face.....but it really can be fun, I go to Virgin on Broadfields, DO a V Cycle class, that will soon get you fit...:D

Change your diet, cut out fat, especially the saturated stuff, use olive oil instead, cut out ALL processed sugars, this in itself will give you more energy as these make you lethargic..Have a proper breakfast, (I used to have a cup of coffee and biscuits!) by this I mean some muesli, MAKE your own with some cheap porridge oats, soft dried prunes, apricots, chopped walnuts, sultanas and cranberries...have FRESH orange juice, it doesn't take 2 minutes to squeeze 3 or 4 oranges...this will give you an energy packed start to the day, if you don't like it, MAKE yourself like it, I did...or have some grilled smoked haddock!

If you wanna snack during the day make up a dried fruit and nut mixture, put some of those small chocolate drops in that you put in cakes to give yourself a choccy fix...:thumbsup:

Make yourself some smoothies...easiest thing in the world, don't waste money buying them or buying one of those smoothie makers, use your liquidiser, there are loads of recipes on the net...

Watch Gillian McKeith, You are What You Eat for some good tips....Good luck...see you at the gym.:D

PS..they are looking for people to go on YAWYE...Do you want me to put your name forward...;)

up until about 2 years ago i used to go to gym most nights as i really enjoy it, unfortunately there was a life changing event in my life that stopped this, as i have said i eat pretty well most of the time , although i dont very often eat a breakfast as i work very early mornings(this may actually contributr towards my weight gain i suppose) we dont eat fatty foods apart from the very occassional curry, my problem is that i dont exersice like i used to,it was sugested i do some walking , well i do work at least the recommended half an hour and obviously since having my daughter, this is not enough.

for starters, how do you know my weight gain isnt medical since giving birth, how do you know that i am not of a normal weight on the edge of anorexia...

...you dont.

Yes I do. Look below.

the only reason i ask is that i have decided to give myself a goal of losing the 3-4 stone i have gained over the last few years after giving birth.

Like Facial said. You need only 2 words to help you lose your flab.

'IM FULL' :)

MOD NOTE:

If there are any more insults on this thread then people will be banned. Please keep your comments friendly.

Naps, please take note of the above.

My Wife did S/W a few years ago and also did regular exercise at the gym and lost quite a bit of weight. I think the support she got really helped her a lot but you also need that support at home too. I.E. hubby / boyfriend (or girlfriend if thats your thing) / family etc have to be 100% behind you too.

Personally I didn't use a club but getting advice from the gym, which included bizarrley I though advice to eat more not less, has so far seen me loose 7kg with about 6 left to go.

you also need that support at home too. I.E. hubby / boyfriend (or girlfriend if thats your thing) / family etc have to be 100% behind you too.

I'm sorry, but why do people insist on treating this like some sort of horrible disease. Support from family to lose weight??? For crying out loud, why can't people just sort themselves out on thier own, without having their noses wiped for them all the way thru life.

too right. if you are serious about losing weight then you should at least be able to motivate yourself. start eating less fatty foods ( ie kebebs) and do some reggular exercise to get your heart rate up. you don't need a gym or a club to do this. half an hours brisk walk around the block a couple of times a day would be a good start. instead of driving to the fag shop/ bookies try cycling there.