Is it worth joining a slimming club?

I'm sorry, but why do people insist on treating this like some sort of horrible disease. Support from family to lose weight??? For crying out loud, why can't people just sort themselves out on thier own, without having their noses wiped for them all the way thru life.

Can i ask, have you ever been on a diet???? Your family and friends make a big innfluence on you to be honest, at meal times, when your going out for meals, moral support etc......it all helps.

moral support? if you are serious about losing weight you should be able to motivate yourself.

moral support? if you are serious about losing weight you should be able to motivate yourself.

Yes of course it does, otherwise you wouldn't be on a programme!! but that bit of extra help also makes a big difference.

Mod Note: Again, this thread was asking a genuine question, and was not set up so that people could hurl insults at people who are trying to do something about their weight.

Insults of either a general or personal nature have no place on this thread. Take this as a warning. If you want to troll or be nasty to the people who are asking the questions so that they can do actually do the best thing to lose some weight (which is what you seem to want them to do anyway), then you should expect a ban to result.

As a personal trainer I deal with this problem everyday. I am astounded as to how ignorant people are when it comes to food -what are proteins & carbs? etc.- bring back home economics & compulsory PE in school and our kids might stand a chance! (Sorry about the rant) Dieting is a short term solution to a long term problem. If you consume more calories than you are burning off then you will gain weight! The answer to successful weight loss is a healthy balanced diet & exercise!!!!!!!!!!

If you are overweight this didn't happen overnight, it took years of practice

comsuming large amounts of poor food - most likely processed - possibly too much alcohol & most definitely no exercise, therefore you have to reverse the process. It takes time but it does work! No quick fixes or magic pills.

A slimming club may give you the motivation but how long can you go on adding up 'points' or changing from 'green days to red days' - that doesn't do much for your social life.

We have written a guide to healthy eating called 'Dump the Diets'. It tells you how your body works, what food groups are & where to find them and also some advice about exercise. You can get further info from our web site http://www.getphysical.co.uk or call into our sports shop on Ecclesall Road for a free consultation. Remember it's not rocket science just common sense. Good luck.

I'm sorry, but why do people insist on treating this like some sort of horrible disease. Support from family to lose weight??? For crying out loud, why can't people just sort themselves out on thier own, without having their noses wiped for them all the way thru life.

How easy do you think it would be to loose weight if your partner or family weren't behind you? Yes personal motivation is 100% required but if your husband picks you up from SW or weightwatchers with a supersize macdonalds for you (and yes I do know of it happening to one woman) then it makes life very difficult.

If the OP is interested I'm on another forum about weightloss were everyone is supportive so if you pm me I'll give you the link

A slimming club may give you the motivation but how long can you go on adding up 'points' or changing from 'green days to red days' - that doesn't do much for your social life.
Actually, WeightWatchers are very keen that you should still have a social life and not feel deprived. Their whole philosophy is about moving to a sustainable sensible eating plan for life. They even have a useful 80+ page booklet called "the eating out guide" which gives lists of meal points from branded (Pizza hut, KFC etc) and generic (chinese, french, spanish etc) eateries.

Support from family to lose weight??? For crying out loud, why can't people just sort themselves out on thier own,, without having their noses wiped for them all the way thru life.
Support in the sense that the family doesn't give you a hard time when you stop providing puddings after every meal and offer fruit instead, for example. Support in the sense that when you're in the pub and happily ask for water or low-cal drinks, they stop other so-called "friends" from nagging you into high-cal alcohols.

In other words, allowing you to help yourself, not doing it for you and not sabotaging your efforts.

@Kittenta - I'd suggest you give an organised slimming group a try - you can always stop after a couple of weeks if it really isn't "you". I always thought I didn't need diet help, but slowly gained weight over the years. Having joined WW in January, I've shed 38lbs, and can now twirl happily in front of the mirror in size 12 clothes.

im a member of slimming world and i'd recommend it to anyone!!! you are never hungry (if you are you are doing it wrong) you can still have a chocolate treat if thats what you want. It all about learning to eat a heathly diet, a way you just adapt to for life, yes exercise helps as well even if you can only do a bit if you have a hectic lifestyle/family life. The meetings offer you support and encouragement.

After just returning home from weight watchers I just wanted to share that I have now lost 50lb since joining in January this year.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Im in a very good mood now!!

@Kittenta - I'd suggest you give an organised slimming group a try - you can always stop after a couple of weeks if it really isn't "you". I always thought I didn't need diet help, but slowly gained weight over the years. Having joined WW in January, I've shed 38lbs, and can now twirl happily in front of the mirror in size 12 clothes.

I'm afraid i am too shy for that. I have no problem putting that I did't lose weight one week on a message board although I really hate typing it out and feel crap. I could'nt face people myself, I know if i'd not lost or gained i'd just miss that meeting. Stupid of me maybe but just the way i am!

After just returning home from weight watchers I just wanted to share that I have now lost 50lb since joining in January this year.

Im in a very good mood now!!

Congratulations to you!!!

A good excersise programme is key to losing weight, as well as a sensible diet.

I work as a Personal Trainer, and have access to a fully equiped gym.

I can put a programme together based on your individual needs, using Circuit Training, Martial Arts Training or Using the Fitness Equipment.

Based at Greens Health and Fitness Club, my email is [email protected] if you like more details

"I'm afraid i am too shy for that. I have no problem putting that I did't lose weight one week on a message board although I really hate typing it out and feel crap. I could'nt face people myself, I know if i'd not lost or gained i'd just miss that meeting. Stupid of me maybe but just the way i am! "

You could always join Slimming World as a postal member. There may be those who are "island unto themselves" who never need others help or encouragement. But most of us do.