Is it worth joining a slimming club?

hiya,

i was just wondering why so many people use slimming clubs.

is it for the help with recepies for healthy eating, the support or maybe the pressure of not wanting to be caught as putting weight on?

the only reason i ask is that i have decided to give myself a goal of losing the 3-4 stone i have gained over the last few years after giving birth.

i have never used a slimming club and wondered wether it is worth me joining one.

i know that the main reason i have put on the weight is that i dont do enough excersice so i am joining the gym on payday, although i also eat junk food occassionally.

i dont want to join a slimming club if all im going to get from it is dreding standing on the scales incase i add a lb or 2. if most people do it for the support of fellow dieters maybe it would be an idea to save the fiver or whatever it costs and arrange a support meeting with other dieters in the local gym that way the money will be spent on activly helping weightloss.

i would love to hear from people who have used these slimming clubs and tell me what it is that they get from it,

thanks, lisa

There is a thread running about Slimming World - have a read at that - you may find it helpful. Good luck.

i have read the thread on slimming world this is what prompted me to post this one, it is which club is most recommended but i am wondering why do people actually chose to use one of these clubs rather than try dieting alone or with a friend,

but thanks

All I can say, is that my sister-in-law runs a club and she has herself lost a staggering amount of weight through being a former member of the club. People who haven't seen her in a while don't always recognise her. In fact, she lost so much weight she has been featured in magazines and newspapers.

Formerly, I doubted whether slimming clubs worked. My wife joined and also lost a couple of stone. Normally I'd say the proof of the pudding is in the eating but that's not so suitable here!!

If you want further details, PM me.

its great that they do seem to work while you attend the club, although most people i know who have lost weight while using a slimming club 9 times out of 10 put the weight on when they stop going, and to be honest i dont plan on going to these meetings for the rest of my life. so i wondered what it is at the slimming club keeps people motivated.

personnaly i'd suggest going to a gym, that way you can still really eat what you want but you burning it off at the same time. or go to the gym and eat sensibly and get the results quicker

i am going to start using the gym but wondered wether to join a slimming club too,

that is the reason for me asking the reason people chose to use these slimming clubs.

if it is for support more than anything then i would love to be part of a support system where we could meet at the gym rather than a slimming club, as i said i think this is taking a more active approach as far as i can see.

I tried WW at home program, buying the cd etc (whent they was available) and tried to diet. Time went by, that didnt work so I tried another diet and then another etc.

I then relised that within 1 year had managed to put on yet another stone.

So in January this year, I decieded that new year, I was going to go to class.

Its now September and I still go to class and im 3.5 stone lighter than the begging of the year.

I think the thing that helps me, is before going to class, Id weight myself, then if ive put on, it would be oh well, then feeling a bit down and maybe go and have something that i should eat.

Whereas with class i go, if ive put on, i still feel depressed, but im in the class for 30 minutes after, with others that are feeling down and it helps me pin point what i may have done.

Then I go home, to start a new week!

In class we help each other out with products that taste nice and have small points values etc - For example knowing the kebab shop across from the class you can have a chicken kebab and its only about 2 points on the no counts diet -

Or things that you think are low in points for example pasta n sauce, that are high points.

Im sure whatever you choose will be right for you and good luck!!

Amanda

so hanksey,

it seems it is the support of fellow dieters that encourages you to keep ontrack.

i am going to start using the gym but wondered wether to join a slimming club too,

that is the reason for me asking the reason people chose to use these slimming clubs.

if it is for support more than anything then i would love to be part of a support system where we could meet at the gym rather than a slimming club, as i said i think this is taking a more active approach as far as i can see.

most gyms will have somebody you cazn speak to reagring what food is good or bad to eat, personally they'll no more about it than slimming clubs, as you do need carbs and protein

most gyms will have somebody you cazn speak to reagring what food is good or bad to eat, personally they'll no more about it than slimming clubs, as you do need carbs and protein

Slimming Clubs advise about nutrition and I personally dont know of any that tell you NOT to eat carbs and protein.

I go to weight watchers and find that going to the meetings gives you the inspiration to keep losing weight once you've started. it is about the support of fellow members - and knowing that you're going to get weighed so it tends to help with the willpower when you're at the shops, out for a meal etc. i've tried it doing it alone but its too easy to be naughty, then it all goes wrong. Give it a go - you've got nothing to lose - well just weight obviously