Sign in to follow this  

Advice on compost needed

Every morning we have fresh squeezed orange juice which generates an awful lot of orange peel. Is it ok to add this peel to my compost bin or will it make it too acid?

Orange peel (and banana skins) are naturally high in potash Max.

As the peel breaks down this will be broken down into a useable nutrient good for flowering & fruiting plants :thumbsup:

Unsure about the acidity, however if you mix in the occasional crushed eggshell at the same time that should even up the balance.

Thanks for that, we mostly have shrubs but we do have some fruit trees and bushes which is where the compost is destined.

The smaller you cut up the bits, the faster they rot away, I didnt know this last year and i ended up with tons of dessicated peel all over the place.

I practically mince them now.

From Gardeners' Question time, the font of all knowledge: clicky.

I've added citrus peel to my compost bin, but not in huge amounts. Maybe a couple of oranges' worth every couple of weeks. It takes absolutely ages to break down, even in the tiniest of pieces, so take care to shred it well if at all possible.

Bother, it looks like I'm going to have to pick out the bigger lumps.

Bother, it looks like I'm going to have to pick out the bigger lumps.

Thats what i had to do, they were like leather.

I decided to bin most of the peels that i have now, its a pity but its got to be better than having to sort through the compost next summer.

Odd - this has never ever happened to mine :huh:

Well i think that maybe my composter was too dry or something and that was why the peels turned into leather.