Funding of political parties

This topic comes from a point I raised in the 'Should smoking be banned' thread. I was wondering whether the Labour Party received monies from the tobacco industry and if so would this influence voting on the bill to ban smoking in public places.

Apparently www.electoralcommission.org.uk gives details of political donations. Mr Sainsbury gave the Labour Party £2.5m over the first 3 mths of this year. I can't believe that some favours aren't expected for that, infact to me it stinks.

How can our governments be trusted to act in the best interests of its people with sums of money like that floating about :?:

Surely political parties should be funded centrally with each party having the same amount to spend on getting their message across.

This would be much fairer, give smaller parties the same chance and avoid MP's being compromised.

And for any trade union bashers out there, yes I think that their contributions should be stopped also. Though I can see the traditional link there as the Labour Party was born out of the trade union movement. Any thoughts an this???

I am not sure about the ruling but I would have thought that All donations over a certain amount would surely have to be declared. If this isn't the case then I certainly think it should be. In America apparently money donated to political parties doesn't after be declared which I think is wrong and needs adressing. The major corps have always bank rolled Governments after all they are really the ones that pull the strings.

On 15/05/2003 at 19:03, Mo said:

Apparently www.electoralcommission.org.uk gives details of political donations. Mr Sainsbury gave the Labour Party £2.5m over the first 3 mths of this year. I can't believe that some favours aren't expected for that, infact to me it stinks.

It could be the case that Sainsburys want to see a better Government. Having said that, I do believe partys should have limits placed on donations and they should be funded from our taxes. Private companies would still help the party of their choice, but not to the tune of millions or pounds.

Of course a donation to Labour cannot change anything until they get elected, it donations to the Conservatives we should worry about.

Just 10 wealthy people account for a quarter of all donations made by individuals to the Conservative Party since Boris Johnson became prime minister, according to new analysis by The Independent.

One of the 10 most generous donors is Jamie Reuben, co-owner of the Reuben Brothers property empire, who has given almost £700,000 to the Tory party thus far during the Johnson era.

So the Conservatives have propped up the property market with the help to buy scheme, which helps wealthier buyers, at the expence of the tax payer.

Very little help to build social housing.

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

18 year old thread revival.....

Blame the forum having been run and all but destroyed by a dictatorship, folk are looking back as so many good posters have thrown the towel in.

On 15/05/2003 at 19:03, Mo said:

Surely much better to make laws that favour UK bussinesses, Johnson seems to be in the pocket of the Russians once again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-58791274