Jehovahs Witness conference in Hellaby.

They knocked on my parents' door last week.

However, I don't actually have a problem with them. One of my best friends was from a Jehovah's Witness family, and as with most religions, they were just ordinary normal people, why do people think they are any different?. As for the knocking on doors, I applaud anyone who puts up with the abuse they get and still carry on doing what they do. I have never had a Jehovah's Witness knock on the door that hasn't been polite and courteous and not gone away when equally politely asked to do so.

Sorry, but I'm totally against cold calling, whether it be by phone, post or in person. I do not wish to be woken up on a weekend morning by someone who wishes to preach to me. I could go to church for that if I wished.

And why do people think they are different? Just experience in my case.

Mr Tansley,

I am glad you enjoyed your aseembly day,

being as i was brought up in this faith till I was 17 and left due to seeing how the 'other world' lived so to speak, I for the past 2 years have had a very bad experience with the witnesses and as most of my family are witnesses i can no longer speak with them because i decided to leave the religion, if you are considering joining they are a nice group, as long as you do not question them,

Just to note I am no longer a witness,

Mr Tansley,

I am glad you enjoyed your aseembly day,

being as i was brought up in this faith till I was 17 and left due to seeing how the 'other world' lived so to speak, I for the past 2 years have had a very bad experience with the witnesses and as most of my family are witnesses i can no longer speak with them because i decided to leave the religion, if you are considering joining they are a nice group, as long as you do not question them,

Just to note I am no longer a witness,

This is the sort of experience I talk about. The witnesses would not accept other views apart from their own. They would not accept nonwitness family members. They shoved their blinkered views on everyone else.

I am going back a long time now but a lad I know died because of this faith.

He was in a road accident, and was in need of a blood transfusion. His parents refused this, and he bled to death.

A strange religion that allows your own kids to die for want of a pint of blood.

I am going back a long time now but a lad I know died because of this faith.

He was in a road accident, and was in need of a blood transfusion. His parents refused this, and he bled to death.

A strange religion that allows your own kids to die for want of a pint of blood.

Could be wrong, but I think its looked upon as if it were sort of cannibalistic.

I find the fact that they would let their child die rather than let them have life-saving treatment sick.

Back to a subject closer to the OP. I think there was supposed to be a condition attached to the building of the East Pennine Assembly Hall (Jovvy place at Hellaby) that said they wouldnt door knock in the area?

Your all way of of date here.

They no longer knock on doors as it is illegal to do so.

Cold calling refers to door to door (or telephone) sales.

Personaly i know quite a few JW and have always found them to be good people, yes they have strong beliefs and not afraid to state them, how many people in this day and age are brave enough to stand up and be counted for what they truly believe? it is not the popular thing is it?.

Oh yes the blood issue, these days there are other alternatives to blood transfusions (i know because i have refused blood myself, not on religous grounds, but for the fact that i just do not want someone elses blood with all the risks now involved).

I realise that JW are often an imotive subject, but to be honest it riles me that people spout the same old prejudice without ever properly finding out with an open mind for themselves why things are as they are.

Think for yourself not with the mob!

Theres one very easy way to avoid Jehovahs witnesses when they knock on your door..........Dont answer it!

My nanan was one and never had any problems, no one else in the family apart from her youngest daughter was a witness and as far as i know she never tried to persuade us to become one.

All families are different just because they were Jehovahs witnesses doesnt make them disfunctional, it could be the same with any other religion!

I realise that JW are often an imotive subject, but to be honest it riles me that people spout the same old prejudice without ever properly finding out with an open mind for themselves why things are as they are.

Think for yourself not with the mob!

I knew this lad as a schoolmate. I can still remember his name, as we were pals.

He, himself was indoctrinated with the religion, and if he had been concious would have probably agreed with his parents decision.

I still do not agree with it.

Theres one very easy way to avoid Jehovahs witnesses when they knock on your door..........Dont answer it!

Absolutely agree what's the big deal? i never answer the door to people i am not expecting, unless i know them, for the simple reason i just don't want to hear some sales pitch that i'm not going to buy into on the doorstep (if i want it i will find it myself).... well same rules apply!