Why does Sheffield like Privet so much?

Since moving here I have noticed how many Privet Hedges there is in Sheffield and wondered why?

I'm not sure it's just Sheffield - I was bought up in Nottinghamshire and the Council Estate I lived on was full of them.

I guess privet is just a good hedge; grows fast, thick and seems to be hard to kill. :)

I think privet was big in the 70's and a cheap alternative to bricks and mortar i guess .

Privet was brought in as a good alternative when, during the 2nd World War, the fences and railings around houses and other, public buildings, were all sequestered for ammunitons and aircraft making. (Or so the public were told)

Privet was brought in as a good alternative when, during the 2nd World War, the fences and railings around houses and other, public buildings, were all sequestered for ammunitons and aircraft making. (Or so the public were told)

This is pretty much the right reason. Due to Sheffield needing the iron during the war to make ammunition etc. most of the railings were cut away and melted down. Privet was used as a replacement.

This is pretty much the right reason. Due to Sheffield needing the iron during the war to make ammunition etc. most of the railings were cut away and melted down. Privet was used as a replacement.

One thing this country wasnt short of during the war was the materials to build tanks plains ect;the cutting down of the iron railings up and down the country was to remind them that there was a very real war going on and it made people feel they were doing there bit.It was a confidence trick to galvanise the people who may have began being a bit apathetic,because the war wasnt right on there doorstep yet.

One thing this country wasnt short of during the war was the materials to build tanks plains ect;the cutting down of the iron railings up and down the country was to remind them that there was a very real war going on and it made people feel they were doing there bit.It was a confidence trick to galvanise the people who may have began being a bit apathetic,because the war wasnt right on there doorstep yet.

I doubt that very much.

There is however a Letsby Avenue, with a Police Station on it.

Straight up! It's out by the airport. Check your A-Z

There is however a Letsby Avenue, with a Police Station on it.

Straight up! It's out by the airport. Check your A-Z

Just goes to show that maybe someone on the Council has a sense of humour ?????

I doubt that very much.

I've heard that as well - that in the end all it did was unite people towards the war effort (Except the king whose railings were not chopped down)

I think privet was big in the 70's and a cheap alternative to bricks and mortar i guess .

In fact I lived in a privet hedge for some months. It was Ok but very scratchy when taking a shower.