• quinny
    • silver cross
    • bugaboo
    • Graco
    • mothercare
    • mamas and papas
    • Maclaren
    • others

I am enquiring for my daughter, my grandson will get his free place starting this month, This is 12 1/2 hrs per week.

The private nursery he goes to now have said he has to go 2 1/2 hrs every day, my daughter would like him to go only 3 days and use his hours that way because due to work this would be better for her.

The nursery have said this is not allowed, the governments say so not theirs.

Does anyone know if this is correct, we have been told it dosent matter when you use the hours.

he is already at the nursery and got a permanent place, it would be ideal if the 12 1/2 hrs were just deducted off the monthly fees.

Thanks for reading.

i dont think that all nursreys do this my daughters nursery offer a service that you can pay for extra sessions in the day could that be a option for your daughter my daughter stayed for an extra hour and a half 3 times a week and it was £54 a month

Yes, the government only pays for 2 1/2 hour sessions, but you can take a morning session, pay for the lunch hour yourself, then take another funded session in the afternoon. As long as the funded sessions are separated by an hour it IS allowed. UP to you whether you're prepared to pay for the middle hour..Hope this helps...

Yes, the government only pays for 2 1/2 hour sessions, but you can take a morning session, pay for the lunch hour yourself, then take another funded session in the afternoon. As long as the funded sessions are separated by an hour it IS allowed. UP to you whether you're prepared to pay for the middle hour..Hope this helps...

Thanks for that, thats very helpful to know.

What it is, my grandson goes to nursery mon, thur, fri 8.00 til 1pm, = 15 hours can the 12 1/2 hrs be deducted from the 15, then she pays for just 2 1/2 a week, the nursery say he has to go everyday for 2 1/2 hrs or if he dosent go everyday ineffectively looses the 5hrs and presumably she will have to pay for the 7 1/2 he has on his other 3 days when she thought she would only have to pay for 2 1/2

sorry if this sounds long winded, i have explained the best i can my daughters dilemma.

The nursery places should now be for 5 * 2.5hr sessions per week. It is increasing to 3hrs per session but i'm not sure when or if it has aleady happened.

As far as i know and i'm sure this is government rules you can link up to 3 sessions per day as long as you attend nursery 3 days per week. You definately don't have to take 5 sessions on 5 separate days.

My little girl goes to nursery 3 days per week for 5 hours each day and all we pay for is 1 x 2 1/2 session.

edit: You can link 2 sessions per day which will be funded by the government. So your daughter will only have to pay for 1 session just as I do.

You might want to look at the information that your nursery receive about the NEG.

As far as I am aware, your grandchild can access the full 5 sessions over the 3 days and you be charged for the shortfall. Look at this link then scroll to the bottom of the page and download the documents about the NEG. ALL nurseries claiming the grant for parents must adhere to this!

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/education/services-to-schools/eyecs/nursery-education-funding

Pay particular attention the the supplementary guidance document.

Thanks for that, thats very helpful to know.

What it is, my grandson goes to nursery mon, thur, fri 8.00 til 1pm, = 15 hours can the 12 1/2 hrs be deducted from the 15, then she pays for just 2 1/2 a week, the nursery say he has to go everyday for 2 1/2 hrs or if he dosent go everyday ineffectively looses the 5hrs and presumably she will have to pay for the 7 1/2 he has on his other 3 days when she thought she would only have to pay for 2 1/2

sorry if this sounds long winded, i have explained the best i can my daughters dilemma.

In answer to your original question - yes you can take your sessions over 3 days rather than 5, and my daughter did this.

However, its not just about the total number of hours. The "free" hours are actually 5 sessions of 2.5 hours and are intended to be "pre-school" / early education-type sessions, and so you have to take these when the nursery runs the sessions...

This will be one in the morning (9.30ish - 12 ish) and then one in the afternoon (1 ish - 3.ish). As another poster has said - you can do a morning session followed by an afternoon session - but you would need to pay for the gap in the middle (Lunch time).

The hours that you describe (8-1) would therefore only cover 1 session per day and so you would need to do 5 days to use all the sessions.

Hope this makes sense

Is every child entitled to these free sessions? Do you have to make a 'claim' for them?

Is every child entitled to these free sessions? Do you have to make a 'claim' for them?

Every child aged from 3 - 5 years (until the term after their 5th birthday) is eligible. You don't need to make the claim as the nursery do it for you (and is a registered provider) and deduct it from your bill. You need to ensure that you are giving the correct info to the nursery though because if you are claiming sessions at different providers and they total more than 5 per week you will end up with a large bill. You also need to provide your child's birth certificate now.

In answer to your original question - yes you can take your sessions over 3 days rather than 5, and my daughter did this.

However, its not just about the total number of hours. The "free" hours are actually 5 sessions of 2.5 hours and are intended to be "pre-school" / early education-type sessions, and so you have to take these when the nursery runs the sessions...

This will be one in the morning (9.30ish - 12 ish) and then one in the afternoon (1 ish - 3.ish). As another poster has said - you can do a morning session followed by an afternoon session - but you would need to pay for the gap in the middle (Lunch time).

The hours that you describe (8-1) would therefore only cover 1 session per day and so you would need to do 5 days to use all the sessions.

Hope this makes sense

Thats very helpful thankyou very much and I think I understang how it works now.

I will pass this info onto my daughter and she can decide wether to send grandson on the other 2 days or loose out.

thanks everybody for your help.

Hi, I am just looking at nurseries at the moment. the one I am thinking of taking my daughter is. Thorncliffe.

does anyone take their child/children there? can any1 tell me what they think?

thanx

Hi, im not pregnant as of yet but i saw someone in co-op in Aston with a fantastic pram and i cant find it.....ill try my best to explain and if you get an idea please help me.

It was a double buggy,4 wheels, but it had an all over material cover like netting so kids can see out, it had 1 big seat in it but with2 sets of straps inside, it was like a little play room on wheels lol where kids would be fully enclosed but could be secured in with straps...the person who had it had it in navy/black but i dont mind what colour.

Sorry description is shocking ill keep looking but as of yet i cant find anything near what im looking for.

Thanks