Indian Birthday meal advice needed!

Hi everyone,

It's my birthday next Saturday and my other half is taking me out - we decided on Indian, but it would have to be somewhere in town, as we could then go for some drinks before the meal at the Devonshire Cat which we both like. I'm not too keen on West St as I personally find it a bit "too much" on Saturday nights.. and we don't go out that much anyway so it would be great to have an intimate evening somewhere quite upmarket without being upset by drunken idiots and noise ,but the choice at the moment is Nirmal's or Sahibs which are both on West ST. Can't avoid West St I suppose if we are set on staying in town.. so, can any restaurant-clued-up forum dwellers advise me on which of the 2 is best for this kind of evening? And maybe there are some other Indian restaurants in town that I'm not aware of? Any advice appreciated:-))Ta x

nirmals is awesome food but a little more expensive, sahibs is nice food at a decent price, kind of similar to khans which is over the road

think of a minute in a taxi, check out the seven spices down at west bar - you'll not be dissapointed - almost town centre, no drunken idiots, great food :)

Takeaway next to the Moorfoot tavern do a great delhi bab sandwich, £2.70 chips, wedges, bahji, half a bun. superb when you`ve been on the lash, highly recommeded. Dont go if its raining though because there is no-where to sit and you have to stand in the doorway.

Hi I use to be a big advocate of Nirmals until last week when eight of us went.

Despite several requests for water (we had all had a beer each as well so were not being stingey...) they waiter went into the mens toilets and filled up a jug (we were sitting upstairs...) we saw it and refused the water and they did eventually bring more from downstairs.

The food is very good but I will not be going back there after being treated like this. The bill came to £18.50 each so no longer as cheap as it useed to be either (no starters !)

I also really like Cafe Guru - have been there 3 times now and never disappointed - food excellent and ambience great.

It may be worth considering a short walk to Ecclesall road to Ashkora (I think...it is called this) which is near to the Varsity bar - I have heard from loads of people it is great - you will need to book in advance though....

Avoid Cafe Guru, it's a rip-off.

Try Mangla at Spittle Hill. well clear of west st and the best in Sheffield IMO.

I went to Vijays with my bf for my birthday - on Charter Row. The food was fantastic and I loved the stylish restaurant and Bollywood theme. It was pretty quiet, but it was mid-week. Not sure what it'd be like on a weekend - but the food is well worth trying! Website is here:

http://www.vijays.co.uk/

I went to Vijays with my bf for my birthday - on Charter Row. The food was fantastic and I loved the stylish restaurant and Bollywood theme. It was pretty quiet, but it was mid-week. Not sure what it'd be like on a weekend - but the food is well worth trying! Website is here:

http://www.vijays.co.uk/

I would avoid at all costs. Terrible food, terrible service and over priced for what ultimately amounts to awfully presented, insipid food.

:gag: .

I would avoid at all costs. Terrible food, terrible service and over priced for what ultimately amounts to awfully presented, insipid food.

:gag: .

I couldn't disagree more. The setting was lovely, the food fantastic, the service great, and very reasonably priced.

I couldn't disagree more. The setting was lovely, the food fantastic, the service great, and very reasonably priced.

Agree to disagree. Tacky restaurant, incredibly expensive, £11.95 for a prawn biryani, how is that reasonably priced. The waiters were more concerned about sending texts on their mobile phones than serving. Food not a patch on other Indian restaurants in Sheffield.

http://www.vijays.co.uk/full_menu.html

:loopy:

Agree to disagree. Tacky restaurant, incredibly expensive, £11.95 for a prawn biryani, how is that reasonably priced. The waiters were more concerned about sending texts on their mobile phones than serving. Food not a patch on other Indian restaurants in Sheffield.

http://www.vijays.co.uk/full_menu.html

:loopy:

You could pick the most expensive thing off any restaurant's menu and then claim they are generally expensive - it doesn't make it true. The starters are between £3-4.50 and curries are mainly under £8 (unless you go for something with king prawns in). I'd say that's reasonable.

for an excellent indian not in typical surroundings no carpet or horrid wallpaper in sight, would really recommend cafe guru, and only just off west street so handy for the devonshire cat