I am looking for a hiking partner, Thursday, 21st of Sept

What time does the one that arrives at 8.48 leave Sheffield?

Leaves the interchange at 7.50

What a great day out you've organised SHsheff. The Devil's Arse sounds particularly interesting. I wish I was coming with you!

My next big plan was going to be a trip to Castleton for a walk and visit to cavern. :)

My next big plan was going to be a trip to Castleton for a walk and visit to cavern. :)

I'm sure we can find a differerent route next time, and an alternative cavern. And if you leave it for a few weeks we'll be able to take in the pleasure of the Castleton Christmas lights too! :)

Just back now - we've had an absolutely brilliant day, perfect walking weather and excellent company. Thanks to Matej for posting his request for a walking partner, as that prompted the event!

Had a most pleasant walk (after the slog up through Cave Dale :suspect:) and enjoyed the views and the refreshing breeze on Mam Tor, pub lunch and a natter then some of us went down Treak Cliff cavern to check out the stalignites and other cavely delights, then coffee in Castleton, then over to Burbage (only three of us left by this time) to catch the sunset and arrive back to the car in the darkening evening.

Such a treat - I am so sorry that those of you who would have enjoyed it couldn't come with us!

We were fortunate in having the Forum Walking Group Unofficial Walk Official Photographer with us, and doubtless he'll be posting his pics in due course.

I fully intend to head off to Slovenia some time in the future to check out the Alpine walks over there, that invitation was an unexpected pleasure from today. Thank you, Matej, it was a privilige to meet you. What a good thing that the Forum came up on your Google search....

:)

Wow what a fab day :thumbsup:

Thanks to A N Other and SHsheff for lifts and organisation. Great to meet you Matej and others that I hadn't met before.

Fab scenery, even though it scared the **** outta me due to the height on the way down :gag: I'll have to buy myself a pair of blinkers or something !

Nice pubs and cafe, and I somehow stopped myself from buying huge slices of scrummy looking cakes ! The cavern was lovely and we had a great tour guide and the sunset at Burbage was great too :thumbsup:

Will post photos on Saturday and put a message on the thread when they're up. Would do it tonite but I need my ugly sleep owing to 0700 meeting with my boss tomorrow, the perfect start to a 12 hour day at work :)

Talking of photos, the Castleton Photo Society have an exhibition in visitors centre - some fab pics there and great time debating which ones we liked and disliked :)

This sounds like a "Must do Again" walk

This sounds like a "Must do Again" walk

Nah, it was a once-and-once-only day out! However, I'm sure we can create another equally-good-but-different day out for interested parties... :)

The Castleton Christmas lights start towards the end of November (the 18th?) so we will DEFINITELY have an Unofficial Forum Trip Out for that.

The 'Christmas Lights' are rather lovely to see as dusk falls, before the masses arrive. Maybe we can sort a walk that ends at dusk, with an hour or so in the cafés, gift shops and pubs, then catching a bus home towards the end of the evening? That sounds a most suitable ending to yet another Unofficial Walk! (and perfectly fine for everyone - public transport would be the norm!)

:)

over to Burbage (only three of us left by this time) to catch the sunset

You might have seen me skulking around trying to snap the merlin (I think). How come she's never there when I've got my long lens?

You might have seen me skulking around trying to snap the merlin (I think). How come she's never there when I've got my long lens?

I can't answer that one! And, if you don't introduce yourself to us, how could we recognise you? :)

I can't answer that one! And, if you don't introduce yourself to us, how could we recognise you? :)

I have a very long lens - just say hi next time ;)

I have a very long lens - just say hi next time ;)

Ok, well, we didn't see anyone with a long lens. What more can I say? ;)

Ah, the camouflage must be working :thumbsup:

I'm glad you enjoyed your walk. I would have asked to join you, but I had to work until 3. Maybe next time :)