A disappointing book you couldn't finish.

Mine was " The Da Vinci Code".I shouldnt have believed all the hype about it. The reviews of the film were awful, so I should have known better. Its one of those books which you think is going to be good and isnt.After reading a few chapters my eyes glazed over with boredom, and I put it down. :(

Mine was " The Da Vinci Code".I shouldnt have believed all the hype about it. The reviews of the film were awful, so I should have known better. Its one of those books which you think is going to be good and isnt.After reading a few chapters my eyes glazed over with boredom, and I put it down. :(

I can't believe it. I couldn't get past the first chapter of that book when I first tried to read it!!! My other half was taking the p**s out of me for ages, saying how it was the bigest selling book that everyone was talking about etc.

Anyhow, I gave it another go earlier this year and couldn't put it down (Funny, I was on my honeymoon at the time!), though I was very disapointed with the ending (the ending of the book, not my honeymoon).

Jurassic Park did it for me. I was reading it on a 'plane and we'd landed before I'd finished so I left it for the next person as it just wasn't worth the effort of putting it my bag.

I can't believe it. I couldn't get past the first chapter of that book when I first tried to read it!!! My other half was taking the p**s out of me for ages, saying how it was the bigest selling book that everyone was talking about etc.

Anyhow, I gave it another go earlier this year and couldn't put it down (Funny, I was on my honeymoon at the time!), though I was very disapointed with the ending (the ending of the book, not my honeymoon).

Ive got to laugh(about your honeymoon ,I mean).Funniest thing Ive heard in ages. :hihi: :hihi:

Stephen Kings "Christine". I was yawning by chapter 6 so Im now into Stephen Kings "It".

Is it me or did that sound almost obscene,,,?

Stephen Kings "Christine". I was yawning by chapter 6 so Im now into Stephen Kings "It".

Is it me or did that sound almost obscene,,,?

Funny I was looking at both the titles in Barnsley Market, second hand book stall. Glad I didnt bother. Hope I havent got to write a sci-fi story,as I havent a clue.Im not technical enough on the "rocket and aerodynamics part"also even their christian names have to be modern ,like "Grisson" and daft things like that.Sorry Im going off the point a bit,but I know Jabbers is on,and hes good at them.

Funny I was looking at both the titles in Barnsley Market, second hand book stall. Glad I didnt bother. Hope I havent got to write a sci-fi story,as I havent a clue.Im not technical enough on the "rocket and aerodynamics part"also even their christian names have to be modern ,like "Grisson" and daft things like that.Sorry Im going off the point a bit,but I know Jabbers is on,and hes good at them.

You want to write science fiction?

All i do is apply my limited memories and scientific knowledge. A rule of thumb, Im led to understand is "Write about what you know" so the technical details can be overlooked enough for you to be able to get by without explaining the science of space flight or time travel.

As for names and such, Arthur C Clarke used names in the 50s and 60s that were used in the 50s and 60s, even for far future adventures, he even had a couple of yorkies in his space ships.

I find that the more simple the text the better, even for highly technical tales, just take a peek at my play things, its all pretty simple stuff when you get down to it.

You want to write science fiction?

All i do is apply my limited memories and scientific knowledge. A rule of thumb, Im led to understand is "Write about what you know" so the technical details can be overlooked enough for you to be able to get by without explaining the science of space flight or time travel.

As for names and such, Arthur C Clarke used names in the 50s and 60s that were used in the 50s and 60s, even for far future adventures, he even had a couple of yorkies in his space ships.

I find that the more simple the text the better, even for highly technical tales, just take a peek at my play things, its all pretty simple stuff when you get down to it.

Write about what you know.?" I had landed on the moon, and thought Id have a look round Tescos,then maybe a trip to Meadowhall afterwards"Are you kidding !!!

Write about what you know.?" I had landed on the moon, and thought Id have a look round Tescos,then maybe a trip to Meadowhall afterwards"Are you kidding !!!

Well its... imagine your writing a story about flying in a spaceship through an asteroid belt, being hit by rocks as you pass through.

Just remember the last time you were in a car in a hail storm.. the hail rattling against the roof and windows, the bigger stones in danger of cracking the glass...the car slipping along on the road as you try to get through the storm....

Change the car and hail for a rocket and asteroid belt and what have you got? just turn daily events into something...different... thats what i do anyway.

Andre Brink- On The Contrary.

Had 3 goes at reading the book, but just couldn't get past the first couple of chapters without needing to refer back to the early pages to work out who was who again. I was feeling a bit guilty about giving up with it (and sticking it in a box to give to charity) until I found out that my sister had done exactly the same. If she can't grasp it (and she has a brain the size of a planet, being a chemical engineer and all), then I have no chance!

The Vampire Lestat - Ann Rice. I like vampires and everyone goes on and on about Ann Rice and how wonderful her writing is but I got to the middle of the third chapter and gave up. I didn't like or care for any of the characters and I got the impressions that Ann Rice was a bit too in love with her own prose.

I finished the Da Vinci Code - the writing wasn't very good but I found all the historical stuff about the grail fascinating.

Well its... imagine your writing a story about flying in a spaceship through an asteroid belt, being hit by rocks as you pass through.

Just remember the last time you were in a car in a hail storm.. the hail rattling against the roof and windows, the bigger stones in danger of cracking the glass...the car slipping along on the road as you try to get through the storm....

Change the car and hail for a rocket and asteroid belt and what have you got? just turn daily events into something...different... thats what i do anyway.

Yes, I see what you mean, I will try that.Now let me see, Im gardening tommorrow,so maybe I can be gardening on another planet.Can I give the planet any name, made up, I mean ? Mind you not as though anyone will want to read it, but it will satisfy me.