Attention industrial history buffs

Hi

I'm wanting to find out more about the building which is now the Megacentre in Sheffield on Bernard Road, just up from the big insinerator.

As far as I understand, it used to be occupied by Spear & Jackson but that's as much as I know.

I wonder if anyone out there in internet land can shed any light on this for me.

Thanks

Is there anything there which can give any info? Any old photos on the walls, that sort of thing?

No. When we got the building it was a shell and was virtually ready for knocking down. I know that it used to be used by Spear & Jackson but for how long I don't know. My hope is that there is someone out there who might have a reative who might have some knowledge of it.

I'd like tobe able to source images of the old factory and display them around the centre to show its industrial heritage.

Thanks

It was owned by a firm who made equipment for the railway. I will try and find out the book for you as soon as I can.

I have managed to find the book I wanted. The building was the premises of John Bedford and Sons. Founded by the original John Bedford at the old Forge beside (and powered by) the River Don at Oughtibridge in 1792, but grew into one of Sheffields giants following the establishment in 1864 of a small works in Mowbray Street, by a partnership of the then John Bedford and John Bramall. It was this business that mushroomed into the Lion works, maufacturing cast and blister steel and establishing an enviable reputation at home and abroad for its 'Lion Brand' engineering and precision files, edge and manufacturing tools. Like so many other Sheffield companies their effort during World War 2 was enormous. While their rolling mills continued to produce thousands of tons of stainless and alloyed steel, as well as their traditional tool products their diverse war effort contribution included over 6,000 tons of churchill tank parts and hundreds of thousands of anti tank rounds.

This quote is taken from a railway book, Scenes from the past 43, Sheffield Victoria to Chesterfield Central by Ken Grainger. Hope this helps.

thanks so much that is excellent...! - is there any way i can gethold of a copy of this book?

The book is still available, it is published by Foxline publications Ltd.

ISBN 1-870119-83-5

On 15/09/2006 at 21:20, cdcreative said:

Hi

I'm wanting to find out more about the building which is now the Megacentre in Sheffield on Bernard Road, just up from the big insinerator.

As far as I understand, it used to be occupied by Spear & Jackson but that's as much as I know.

I wonder if anyone out there in internet land can shed any light on this for me.

Thanks

looking at the building on https://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php I see it was once an ordnance  factory. I have tried to find out more information on the internet and come up with zilch up to this moment. Methinks a trip to the Sheffield Local Studies Library may be on the cards as it has piqued my curiosity. If I discover any thing I'll let you know.

I worked at John Bedford 1971-4 in the chisel/file/hammer dept. on Mowbray St. The Bernard Rd factory I believe made the sockets and spanners. Later on Spear and Jackson bought them out.