Who remembers the GPO Telephones and Otley (Kinhome)

Hi I am looking for all the friends I met during training. Trevor Casswell ,Dave Wragg, etc to many to list.We all started at Eldon house, then to Otley (Kinehome) The landlady in the diggs was Mrs Gott and we watched the moon landing in 69 on tv. We all used to go to the Cow and Calf on a night in Ilkley. During the day it was the Westbourn for Pies. Dave Theaker

Hi I am looking for all the friends I met during training. Trevor Casswell ,Dave Wragg, etc to many to list.We all started at Eldon house, then to Otley (Kinehome) The landlady in the diggs was Mrs Gott and we watched the moon landing in 69 on tv. We all used to go to the Cow and Calf on a night in Ilkley. During the day it was the Westbourn for Pies. Dave Theaker

I passed through the training huts at Kineholme. Must have been about the same time. The only name I can remember was a Mr Anning.

I must have been there around 1969 since I remember almost being slung out for being late having just been married etc.

I don't know when it closed but the tiny poles were there for some years. It's a housing estate now.

Always seemed to go to Otley between Nov and Feb, when the miserable weather and all those grey buildings made the place very depressing. Stayed with a Mrs Davey behind the Westbourne pub, she served enormous portions of meat pie. Remember 2 instructors, Bob Lamonby, who always had a pipe in his mouth and Frank Thornhill, a cocky individual who I would have gladly ' chinned ' Lecturer was Albert Lee and the head of the school a Mr Parker, was a thoroughly detestable bloke ! Dennis Varley and Bob Duree were also on the staff there. Landlord of the Westbourne, Peter ---- ? was a real character !

Edited by Runningman
Spelling & punctuation corrected

Hello i know its a few years later but i was at otley(kinehome)several times from about 1978,I can remember standing on the small training poles and going up the chevin to look at power poles.As for the Westborne i can remember that the landlord wes related to an awful young boy who had won on oppertunity knocks and i was fed up of hearing how great he was.I can remember lodgeing with a scotish woman who fed you pork at every meal but the night subby came in handy.Great Days.:hihi: Jim Daley.

Edited by jad279
add name

I did five straight weeks at Otley around 1979 I think. Stayed with a family on Sunset Terrace and well remember the hikes around the Cow and Calf weather permitting. Two things stick in my memory clearly from the course, one was the bit about tree pruning and making the resultant stump look roughly the same from all directions, and the second was the forest of telephone poles!! Back to Maltravers Road after that for some real work.

Dave Wragg I wonder if that is the Private Wire Level 1 who recently retired?

I went there in three times in 1966/67 on TT(a) courses. I stayed at Ma Wilson's infamous Guiseley Guest House once. What a dump. I didn't realise until the course was nearly over that I had been sleeping on a "bed" that was a sheet of plywood & mattress placed over a bath!

Lunchtime was spent at the Westbourne & most nights we took the bus to Ilkley then a taxi to the Cow & Calf.

I remember Parker who was a nasty piece of work. The lecturers were OK; Alec Richmond & Mick Francis were two I remember. Newton, Ferry & Moss were instructors when I was there.

Just remembered, the landlord of the Westbourne was Peter Wallis. One evening per week he would put on a comedy show. Problem was that it was almost the same show week after week, hence being on a 2 week course, you saw the same show twice.

Remember going to a club at Otley, over the river bridge. 2 strippers and a good night with the lads on the course.

Couldn't those Geordie lads sink some ale !!

Also remember a trip to Elland Rd from Otley to see Leeds play in a euro competition.

Hi I am interested in this thread.

I am wondering about a slightly earlier period, whether anyone remembers a GPO design instructor by the name of Harry Scrafton, who was based at Otley in the 1950s/60s and retired in 1965.

This is for a biographical project, would be really grateful for any information or memories.

Thanks

HRMartin

Hello, I'm Roger Dedman, living in Otley, and am a Postal Historian. I've got a Power Point Presentation  'The Rise of the Post Office'  which goes up to 1900.  Now I am working on ' Some aspects of the Post Office from 1900'.  To this end i am interested in the Training School at Kineholm.  Some basic reflections and if anyone has any pictures that i could use 1 to illustrate will be much appreciated.

On 08/03/2013 at 21:38, fatrajah said:

I went there in three times in 1966/67 on TT(a) courses. I stayed at Ma Wilson's infamous Guiseley Guest House once. What a dump. I didn't realise until the course was nearly over that I had been sleeping on a "bed" that was a sheet of plywood & mattress placed over a bath!

Lunchtime was spent at the Westbourne & most nights we took the bus to Ilkley then a taxi to the Cow & Calf.

I remember Parker who was a nasty piece of work. The lecturers were OK; Alec Richmond & Mick Francis were two I remember. Newton, Ferry & Moss were instructors when I was there.

I stayed there for my first TTA course in 1970. What a dump it was. I think the pub across the road from the digs was the Station Hotel. Beer was 10 new pence.  Went to Westbourne for a couple of pints and a pie at lunchtime although I was only 16. I seem to remember they had Country and Western nights sometimes. Met a girl in Ilkley and went to the Disco at the Cow and Calf a few times. 

Remember the mini telegraph poles and training rooms. I’ve got a photo of all the class if anyone wants me to email it. I found some better digs for the other two courses. Felt like a millionaire when I got my wages with an extra £2.50 in it. Happy days !!

On 16/11/2020 at 19:46, gluedtopc said:

I stayed there for my first TTA course in 1970. What a dump it was. I think the pub across the road from the digs was the Station Hotel. Beer was 10 new pence.  Went to Westbourne for a couple of pints and a pie at lunchtime although I was only 16. I seem to remember they had Country and Western nights sometimes. Met a girl in Ilkley and went to the Disco at the Cow and Calf a few times. 

Remember the mini telegraph poles and training rooms. I’ve got a photo of all the class if anyone wants me to email it. I found some better digs for the other two courses. Felt like a millionaire when I got my wages with an extra £2.50 in it. Happy days !!

If you look on this forum for a thread entitled: Post Office Telephones Photos, there is a post giving a link to a website with several photos of staff, classes & the buildings

at RTS Otley including a few rather sad ones of the main building all boarded up prior to demolition.

Edited by fatrajah