Re-cycling & the NHS

Hi again, just been reading a few posts about recycling... I also try & do my little bit!! Anyways i'll get to the point. I work at the halamshire hospital & i'm always on about how they should have some recycling points. We throw loads of news papers & bottle away... Just an idea!! :thumbsup:

mmm might be worth enquiring to Onyx about that - if they're reckon there's enough being dumped it may be worth their while to do a collection from HH

Agreed, there must be hundreds of bottles & cans of drink consumed there.

One of my pet peeves is that the council, in their wisdom, won't provide the blue bins for businesses - surely businesses produce the highest quantity of waste paper - and probably the best quality recyclable paper at that!

tell me about it... honestly on our ward we must chuck big piles of papers out daily & god knows how much it would be if you count all the wards together! i just hate to see it all get thrown in the bin & not getting recycled!!! :rant:

councils don't 'provide' any waste disposal service for businesses - they have to buy it ...

so if an organisation can't be bothered ....

numerous other NHS organisations in yorkshire do have contracts with recyclers.... and the recycling contractors love it as most of the paper is decent quality ...

A rather macabre kind of hospital recycling: when I was involved in student theatre at the Drama Studio, and the props dept. needed some flowers, someone would go to the Hallamshire close by, and ask if anyone had died that day or night. If they had, we got the bedside flowers for our set. A rather gruesome confusion of priorities occurred when we really, really, needed quickly and no-one was dying, damn it! But that's showbiz...

At my sons funeral the undertaker took me to one side and asked it if was ok to send all the flowers to the hospitals. I suppose thats a kind of recycling.

There is a paper recycling scheme. We use it in the med school. We have boxes in all our offices, when full they get taken down to the basement and taken for recycling...

Yeah when i worked as a carer in a residental home we always used to get the flowers from funeral homes... :P

Schools are other big organisations which would really benefit from having recyclables collected. Why isn't this isn't automatically done?

Schools are other big organisations which would really benefit from having recyclables collected. Why isn't this isn't automatically done?

It is, but only if the school contacts the council and asks! :loopy:

numerous other NHS organisations in yorkshire do have contracts with recyclers.... and the recycling contractors love it as most of the paper is decent quality ...

I don't know about the hospitals but many of the more office-orientated parts of the NHS in Sheffield do have recycling for paper, at least the sites that I've visited.