I moved to the Shirecliffe in 1955, there were 3 woods which were called Roe Woods, the 1st & 2nd were divided by Shirecliffe road, the 3rd wood went from I think it was Longley Avenue, down to what was the City General Hospital & over to Firshill.

The area was called 7 ponds,as there were 7 ponds & a lot of allotments in the area you mention, many people went there fishing & it was a great place to have fun,the Atlas & Norfolk football ground was over the back of the ponds etc & had a fair every year.

I was shocked in 1990 when I returned to that area after 20 years to visit family, & it was covered in houses.

Anyone here go to Firs Hill School?

Hi, I went to Firshill infants and juniors in the 1950/60s and remember Mrs Jackson and Miss Brown in the infants and Mr Sims,Mr Robinson and Mr Cox in the juniors. Mr Sims was my favourite teacher, he taught me so much and made us remember what we learned. We used to have Sports day on the Atlas and Norfolk ground. Does anyone remember the "plantation"?

Hi, I went to Firshill infants and juniors in the 1950/60s and remember Mrs Jackson and Miss Brown in the infants and Mr Sims,Mr Robinson and Mr Cox in the juniors. Mr Sims was my favourite teacher, he taught me so much and made us remember what we learned. We used to have Sports day on the Atlas and Norfolk ground. Does anyone remember the "plantation"?

I went to firshill infants in the seventies and miss brown was still there then if its the same teacher (she had realy long finger nails)

sportsday was still held on the atlas and norfolk ground but dont no where the plantion was

I left Firshill in 1946 and remember Mr. Sims, Miss Yates and Miss Humphreys who was the headmistress. I also remember the air raid drills and receiving a bar of chocolate during the drill.

was there air raid shelters on the school grounds?

Does anyone know why Orphanage road carries that name ?

Was there once an orphanage up there...perhaps in the big house known as Firs Hill ?

Skippy....I have an old map (1905) of the area and can count only six ponds in the allotments :) - where was the other one ?

There were a total of seven ponds greybeard, not sure if one was created after your map, i used to go up there most summer weekends and many nights fishing in the ponds

There were a total of seven ponds greybeard, not sure if one was created after your map, i used to go up there most summer weekends and many nights fishing in the ponds

Did they use to play cricket on the sportsground at the back of the allotments ?

Went to watch a cricket match somewhere up in Pitsmoor with my Dad when I was about nine or ten. His mate played for Laycock's or Tyzacks and I can remember getting off the tram near that funny little house (the toll house), walking up a lane by some allotments to the cricket ground.

Can remember too wishing we lived up there with all the woods etc. to play in; - a lot different to where we lived at Highfields. Must have been heaven for young boys :D

The plantation was the small wooded area at the front of the school which bordered Barnsley Road. It was separated from the school by railings, there was one missing which left a space and the girls constantly hung upside down by their knees in the gap.:D

I went to Firs Hill school. Left in 1972. Remember Mr Cox as headteacher and Mrs Vaughan as deputy head

I was at Firshill Infants & Jnrs, left in 1977. Mrs Vaughan was head & Mr Woodcock was deputy then. Any of you remember Mr Marshall? Could be a nasty bugger, but also funny at times.

I'd forgotten about the cricket pitch, greybeard.we used to watch the cricket occasionally.most time was either spent fishing or swinging from "tarzan ropes" in the wood further over towards the northern general entrance. once camped out with my school buddies in the area between the ponds and the woods,3 tents 8 lads, had a good time till the police came to collect one of the lads, he didn't have permission to stay out from his mom...we laughed about it all night

The plantation was the small wooded area at the front of the school which bordered Barnsley Road. It was separated from the school by railings, there was one missing which left a space and the girls constantly hung upside down by their knees in the gap.:D

Thanks for the info i no exactley were you mean now