Police cordon next to vine pub

I stand corrected about the rape. And yes things happen in other parks too, course they do. I woudn't go in many of those either, at night.

Don't get me wrong, Claireybell! I go in there most days. You're right, some great work has been done there. The festivals in there this summer have been good too. It's a beautiful old place and I thoroughly enjoy it/appreciate the recreation work done there. A lot of promotional work has been done to educate the local kids etc and to promote nature to the general public, and that's fantastic. The cemetery itself is very interesting. The rock displays in there too. It's a very peaceful place to sit and read, but it's just not wise to go in at night, that's all I'm saying. Besides which, it's dark and tha can't see owt!

Sorry, I don't mean to put people off. I actually applied for a job there a while ago and also to live in the flat opposite the office at the other end, over the river, so I'm not anti cemetery! Just...be careful.

I was flashed in there the other week. Don't know why he bothered, I had quite a good look and it was nothing to boast about.

I know it might not seem like the worst crime ever, but a friend of mine was flashed once, and he then followed her home. She called the police, and they said they always take flashing very seriously because people who start off doing that are more likely to go on to more serious offences. Always worth reporting, even if you just call 101.

I was flashed once too, and just tutted and carried on, but if it ever happened again I'd definately report it.

Hope the stabbed man is ok.

Hope the stabbed man is ok.

Yeah, any news on that?

We receive numerous emails from security after people who work in the smae building as me, have been attacked/harassed/whatever.

I remember an example of each of those things happening, since I worked there. I'm not saying it's any more dangerous than other parts of the city, just that I wouldn't want to go in there. It's a no go area. Fact. Surely what happened last night backs that up to a degree?

I've had mates mugged for their phones in there, I remember a poor lass getting dragged in there a couple of years or so ago and attacked/raped. People I work with have been followed through there and flashed at by dirty old men. Does that make me hysterical? They're not rumours mate.

If there is one example of a crime in a ten year period, you should not put it in the plural, then imply that that crime is a regular occurance. It is deeply misleading and that is what i meant by 'hysterical' (One businessman on Cemetery Road proclaimed there were 'loads of rapes all the time in there' when he actually meant there was one, that wasn't even in the cemetery.)

Regarding the flashers and 'dirty old men' etc, have any of you reported any of it to the police or the cemetery trust, or do you just complain about it among yourselves? I do hear largely what has and hasn't been police business in the cemetery. If there is a persistent or serious problem, it gets discussed in the office, workers are made aware, it's discussed at meetings etc (and yes, the police are called). If people don't come forward they can hardly complain if a problem persists. I don't recall anyone at the cemetery having been approached by anybody from Norwich Union about the crime wave you refer to. Feel free to correct me on that.

Yes this stabbing is dreadful and I feel very much for the man, but the vast majority of people who use the cemetery are not fearful of it as they can put things in perspective. I just hope some sensationalists don't escalate it into 'loads of stabbings', which unfortunately is what I think may happen.

EDIT - was typing while the other posts were appearing. :)

If there is one example of a crime in a ten year period, you should not put it in the plural, then imply that that crime is a regular occurance. It is deeply misleading and that is what i meant by 'hysterical' (One businessman on Cemetery Road proclaimed there were 'loads of rapes all the time in there' when he actually meant there was one, that wasn't even in the cemetery.)

Regarding the flashers and 'dirty old men' etc, have any of you reported any of it to the police or the cemetery trust, or do you just complain about it among yourselves? I do hear largely what has and hasn't been police business in the cemetery. If there is a persistent or serious problem, it gets discussed in the office, workers are made aware, it's discussed at meetings etc (and yes, the police are called). If people don't come forward they can hardly complain if a problem persists. I don't recall anyone at the cemetery having been approached by anybody from Norwich Union about the crime wave you refer to. Feel free to correct me on that.

Yes this stabbing is dreadful and I feel very much for the man, but the vast majority of people who use the cemetery are not fearful of it as they can put things in perspective. I just hope some sensationalists don't escalate it into 'loads of stabbings', which unfortunately is what I think may happen.

EDIT - was typing while the other posts were appearing. :)

There has been more than one occurrence of some of those crimes, ie the mugging/attacks/flashers. As far as the rape/stabbing is concerned I don't know. Surely one is enough for people to be wary?

I for one have never reported anything because I have never been in that situation. As far as I'm aware, the staff concerned report it to the police themselves. The most we ever hear of it again is when an email circulates among staff advising that the police have been warned.

Quite often, the warnings come from the police themselves.

Like I said, I use the cemetery and the park a lot. Most days in fact. But you wouldn't catch me using it in the dark.

I wonder how many people who work at NU would walk through there alone at 2am. Nobody I know, that's for sure.

The man's condition was thought to be serious at first, but is now stable in hospital.

I am glad to hear that the chap is in a stable condition. I hope he is ok.

I've got to say, to counter the "nay-sayers" who are going on about the supposed safety aspect of the cemetery area:-

It's not safe to be wandering around any isolated, dark area like parks, woods, and the cemetery at "daft-o'clock". You have to use your "nous", and not put yourself in a vulnerable position. The cemetery is poorly-lit, and too far from housing/ people to be safe for anyone to be wandering around it in the dark...

I'm not excusing, or belittling the attacks, at all, I thing the attackers are cowardly and despicable, and, when convicted, they deserve not to see light of day for a long time....

This is only the third attack near the cemetery I have heard of in the four years I have lived near it. (aside from the two attacks on forummers' kids in the london road vicinity which aren't exactly that near..) one was on cowlishaw road, where a woman was attacked by someone who had actually broken into her home the other was the young woman who was attacked on Stalker Lees Rd, and dragged into the cemetry area. that's still three attacks too many!!!!!

so, this is possibly the first attack that is specific to- and properly-connected to the cemetery itself in quite a long time.

In daylight, the cemetery is a nice peaceful place to have a stroll. I like to go there with my art stuff, and sketch and paint in there. BUT! I would not go in there after dusk!!!!

PT

In daylight, the cemetery is a nice peaceful place to have a stroll. I like to go there with my art stuff, and sketch and paint in there. BUT! I would not go in there after dusk!!!!PT

Thank you. That's what I'm saying. :)

Good to hear the poor chap is stable.

There has been more than one occurrence of some of those crimes, ie the mugging/attacks/flashers. As far as the rape/stabbing is concerned I don't know. Surely one is enough for people to be wary?

So it was very wrong and misleading to put these crimes in the plural. If you are going to throw around words like 'rape' you have to keep calmly to the facts.

I wonder how many people who work at NU would walk through there alone at 2am. Nobody I know, that's for sure.

Nobody has suggested that going in there after dark is a fine recommendation. I don't know where this strange non-argument has materialised from.

Finally, I have been asked to post the following by one of the trustees of the General Cemetery Trust. This is their official response:

"We are saddened by the news that a young man was stabbed in or around the General Cemetery on Wednesday evening. The latest we have on his progress from the police is that he is recovering in the Northern General Hospital. The police are still investigating the circumstances, and will be releasing a statement later – check the local press for details.

In the meantime we ask people not to panic, and certainly not to avoid using the cemetery. The general cemetery is used by hundreds of people every week, thousands every year. There are dozens of dog walkers morning afternoon and evening, people from the offices, shops and factories at lunchtime, and commuting to work morning and evening. We welcome them all, and the warden will be continuing his regular tours of the cemetery through the day and night. But as one of the other contributors on Sheffield Forum said, after dark, do be careful ".

So it was very wrong and misleading to put these crimes in the plural. If you are going to throw around words like 'rape' you have to keep calmly to the facts.

Oh for heaven's sake. I'm sorry if I made it look like there's been more than one rape and more than one stabbing in the cemetery. I was fairly sure there had been at least one other rape in there, within the last two or three years but I can't be certain. I don't mean to scare people unnecessarily. Pardon me for not being 100% certain on this and pardon me for trying to make people aware of these incidents. If I'm wrong well then I stand corrected. Happy? My point was this is not an isolated incident in and around there, certainly not the first, and I'm pretty sure it won't be the last. Sad but true in this day and age. :(

Nobody has suggested that going in there after dark is a fine recommendation. I don't know where this strange non-argument has materialised from.

I'm not saying anybody did suggest that. I merely wrote it because that poor bloke was stabbed there last night. After dark. You see the connection? :rolleyes:

Too many nutters with knives and guns these days, you have to be careful, otherwise you could find yourself in same predicament.

Crazy happenings these days I tell you.

I mirror this sentiment

Oh for heaven's sake. I'm sorry if I made it look like there's been more than one rape and more than one stabbing in the cemetery. I was fairly sure there had been at least one other rape in there, within the last two or three years but I can't be certain. I don't mean to scare people unnecessarily. Pardon me for not being 100% certain on this and pardon me for trying to make people aware of these incidents. If I'm wrong well then I stand corrected. Happy? My point was this is not an isolated incident in and around there, certainly not the first, and I'm pretty sure it won't be the last. Sad but true in this day and age. :(

I'm not saying anybody did suggest that. I merely wrote it because that poor bloke was stabbed there last night. After dark. You see the connection? :rolleyes:

I have to say Stoff that i dont think you have sensationalised anything and think that your posts have been well thought out and balanced.If anything i think that purdyamos has been to quick to pick faults in what you have said and by going on and on,it feels alittle like she protesteth too much.

That said,i do see where she is coming from and admire her loyalty :)