Police cordon next to vine pub

Woah, that's my local - explains all the madness around it early this morning. Christ, I hope he's ok. I used to live opposite the cemetery last year and never walked through it at night although my friends took the ****. I'd rather be called a chicken than get stabbed or raped in there....

Bloody hell.

Woah, that's my local - explains all the madness around it early this morning. Christ, I hope he's ok. I used to live opposite the cemetery last year and never walked through it at night although my friends took the ****. I'd rather be called a chicken than get stabbed or raped in there....

Bloody hell.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Cemetery and think it's a wonderful place- during the day. As a 25 year old male who studies martial arts, even I wouldn't walk through the cemetery at night, and I don't care how much my mates laugh at me because of it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Cemetery and think it's a wonderful place- during the day. As a 25 year old male who studies martial arts, even I wouldn't walk through the cemetery at night, and I don't care how much my mates laugh at me because of it.

Too many nutters with knives and guns these days, you have to be careful, otherwise you could find yourself in same predicament.

Crazy happenings these days I tell you.

It's not been that great during the day recently, either. There is one particular guy with a major aggression problem on there - shortass with a big dog and a foul mouth.

I hope the wounded man pulls through OK. Hate to think of that sort of stuff going on where we go conker hunting with the kids ...

I work at the cemetery (though not today, I'm trying to get through to the office to get more 'real' information from a trustee.) While this sounds a horrific attack and I hope the man will recover quickly and the culprit be found, I simply must point out that the cemetery is NOT a haven of muggers and rapists and murderers. This is a distortion that rears its head whenever there is an isolated incident, which this is. I know how rumour and hearsay get blown out of proportion, so please keep a realistic perspective on this. (And I don't mean to dismiss or minimise the severity of last night's occurrence by saying that.)

I also strongly dispute the fact that it is dangerous during the day. Yes there is the occassional agressive dog but we try to communicate and deal with such instances (IF they are reported to us, of course.) We have wardens who patrol the site. Mick, the resident warden, is a former security guard and has had special commendation from the police for the way he has helped made the area comparitively safer. I believe last night he was out on call in his other job, but usually he is on patrol even at 2 in the morning. Not much gets past him, and it is a terrible tragedy that this has occurred while he's been away.

Please do not let this one, isolated incident lead you to think that the cemetery is any more dangerous than any other road or patch of the city. I would pass on more information when I hear it, though I suspect it might be inappropriate while an investigation is ongoing.

i love cemetery its peaceful usually and for tlast 5 years have been walking through it on the way to school and again in the evenings at pick up time

I was asleep above the Vine when all this happened...I kinda overheard something which I now relaise was the paramedics trying to get this guys name out of him...I pressume to keep him conscious...I just assumed somebody had a few too many and was getting helped home.

The cemetry is a no go area at night.

Hope the guy is ok.

I regularly walk through in the daytime and eat my lunch in there sometimes too, but no WAY would I go through at night time, not even with a big security bod there. It's just too dodgy. I've worked next door to it for 10 years and I've heard all sorts of stories of muggings/rapes/attacks/indecent exposure/stabbings in there in that time, some when I've been leaving work around 5.30. Not in a million years would I go in there at night. I wouldn't gon down Stalker Walk or Frog Walk or whatever it's called either, at night. No thank you!

Thankfully i have no car to park near there anymore, 'coz if I ever worked late, that place used to scare the bejeepers out of me when I walked up the hill to get to it.

Sorry, but it's just the way I feel. Me and pretty much all of my colleagues.

I've worked next door to it for 10 years and I've heard all sorts of stories of muggings/rapes/attacks/indecent exposure/stabbings in there in that time.

This is exactly the sort of incorrect hysterical rumour and hearsay-without-bothering-to-check-things-like-facts I was referring to in my previous post.

It may be sensible to avoid the cemetery/Frog Walk after dark, but please don't spread mendacious exaggerations.

We receive numerous emails from security after people who work in the smae building as me, have been attacked/harassed/whatever.

I remember an example of each of those things happening, since I worked there. I'm not saying it's any more dangerous than other parts of the city, just that I wouldn't want to go in there. It's a no go area. Fact. Surely what happened last night backs that up to a degree?

I've had mates mugged for their phones in there, I remember a poor lass getting dragged in there a couple of years or so ago and attacked/raped. People I work with have been followed through there and flashed at by dirty old men. Does that make me hysterical? They're not rumours mate.

I was flashed in there the other week. Don't know why he bothered, I had quite a good look and it was nothing to boast about.

Please keep this in perspective. While what happened last night was terrible, incidents at the cemetery are VERY few and far between, happening no more often than at any other park or public space in the city. The rape that you mention Stoff actually happened at Frog walk NOT in the cemetery.

It is an unfortunate fact of modern society that it is never a good idea to go anywhere secluded on your own at night, but please don’t frighten people away from the cemetery by scare-mongering. A lot of hard work has gone in to landscaping the site over the last couple of years to encourage people to use the site more. The original paths have been reconstructed, new seating has been installed, and the Montague Street end has become more open and welcoming. The cemetery is now used, and should continue to be used, in so many ways from walking and ball games to picnics and festivals.