Electric Bill fiasco

I have just had a stupidly large electric bill totalling thousands. (literally)

I hadnt actually sent my meter reading to them for a year but Ive been paying a regular DD based on previous bills.

They have advised that I check my meter reading for the next 7 days to see if its faulting.

Has anyone else had anything similar to deal with?

i've just changed supplier due to a similar thing.

paid 41quid for a couple of years, miraculously this year they want 89quid a month.

no meter readings done,less people in the home. I ask you!

Which company?

I did have a lot of messing about a few years back, in the end i had them out to run meter checks 3 times and although it was just going through the motions they also came and did an advice consultation to tell me how i could save energy and reduce my bills.

When they came they had no idea where it was all going and eventually i got a new meter, this was back when it was Yorkshire Electricity. I did have to pay the bill though but it was below a "just"

Its with Npower. I was originally with YE but changed just over 18 months ago.

There is just no feasible way I could have used that amount of electric even with everything turned on 24 hours a day especially as I only live with my g/f.

Can't you just send them the current meter reading and they'll readjust it?

They always estimate our electric bill, and nearly always overestimate it. We just ring up, give them the reading they fix the bill and send it back out to us.

mines npower as well.

just swapped to atlantic somebody or other saved £215 (projected)

Can't you just send them the current meter reading and they'll readjust it?

They always estimate our electric bill, and nearly always overestimate it. We just ring up, give them the reading they fix the bill and send it back out to us.

Thats the thing. I didnt pass on the meter reading for about a year but I was paying a fixed DD thinking it would be enough to cover possibly even in credit!

It has to be wrong.

I did the same after British Gas estimated usage of £100 for the hottest summer on record. I was away most of the time and apart from some cooking hardly used the gas at all. :rant:

I have just had a stupidly large electric bill totalling thousands. (literally)

I hadnt actually sent my meter reading to them for a year but Ive been paying a regular DD based on previous bills.

They have advised that I check my meter reading for the next 7 days to see if its faulting.

Has anyone else had anything similar to deal with?

you're neighbour may be running his cannabis factory from your leccy:D

There is no way you could have spent thousands without paying a direct debit never mind with, I'd get yourself some advice if i was you, ring an advice centre or something because they will probably try and make you pay it anyway.

they would've insisted on a meter reading when you switched to them for your supply, so if you take another one now they will be able to work out exactly what you owe.

If it is thousands then the meter must be faulty, but I dont know where you stand on that if you havent submitted previous meter readings...the sods are bound to have some loophole where you have to pay up because you didnt report the fault and they will then charge you "normally" once it is sorted.

good luck!

I've just had the same thing with British Gas for gas, a bill of over £1k :o

It turned out that they'd been ignoring the readings given for nearly 2 years! When I complained and pointed out that they've had numerous price rises in the last two years they "adjusted" it slightly but I've still got to pay approx £900 at £250 per month :mad:

If I could be bovvered I'd argue the toss further but I can't!