Motorcyclists are a major cause of accidents

Does anybody else agree with me that motorcyclists are a major cause of accidents on our roads. Consistently breaking the speed limit, undertaking and overtaking on bends while crossing solid white lines.

No I disagree, most motorcycle accidents are precipitated by car drivers inattention.

Bit of a bold statement

Do you have statistics / Facts ?

I believe Most bikers are probably killed due to idiotic/ not paying attention Motorists .:hihi:

Yes I agree, some bikers take unecessary risks - but you can't tar them all

with the same brush ......:huh:

The reason I stopped riding was not a lack of trust in my own abilities, but a lack of trust in the others that share the road with bikers.

So no.

Although, some bikers are idiots, just as some car/truck/buss drivers are idiots too.

Does anybody else agree with me that motorcyclists are a major cause of accidents on our roads. Consistently breaking the speed limit, undertaking and overtaking on bends while crossing solid white lines.

Is that why my other half nearly got hit twice last night on his way home from work by motorists that weren't watching the road properly as they pulled out of junctions, he has his headlight on all the time and it was dark so could clearly be seen.

Motorcyclists are some of the most careful riders on the road as they are far more vulnerable than us that drive cars. He also drives a car but is far more careful and perceptive than most of us.

No I disagree, most motorcycle accidents are precipitated by car drivers inattention.

Do you have statistical evidence to back this up or is it a fact based on your own musings? :hihi:

There is a God :thumbsup:

just musings, I don't have time to go and find any statistics today. Feel free to look them up yourself and prove me right or wrong.

People are certainly a major cause of accidents, what grounds do you have for singling out those who ride motorbikes?

I my own unrepresentative, subjective, experience ****wits who speed round residential areas in hatchbacks they borrowed off their mums are a much greater cause of concern than bikers, who at least tend to do most of their stupid stuff on country lanes where they're significantly less likely to kill people than themselves.

Fact; NOT ALL motorcyclist are the same, some are wonderful and pay attention to the road etc as they should;

However I believe these are a minority; most of the motor cyclist I encounter are idiots who expect me to have eyes in the back of my head!!!!

They do cross white lines, they do suddenly appear at the side of me, they do suddenly jump in front of my moving car, they do suddenly appear from nowhere (and this is not due to me not paying attention it is due to them ducking and weaving out of the traffic at all speeds).

No matter how much attention we pay to the roads and traffic around us, you can not do ten things at once, and that is why there are accidents, I can’t look in every direction at the same time.

Motorcyclist need to take responsibility for there own actions for a change.

It cuts both ways they should have to pay attention to me just as much as I do to them, but no; the responsibility always comes down to the person in the car.

I always remember that advert on TV; now you see him, now you don't;Telling me to be aware of them, how can you be when they appear out of nowhere; the advert should have been aimed at bikers and telling them not to risk their lives and everyone else’s by overtaking because they can't be bothered to go at the speed limit.

Breaking the speed limit is the major cause of deaths on our roads. I VERY RARELY see motorcyclists sticking to the speed limit. They cross double white lines just to skip a car (when theres a queue a mile long of traffic, so not really much point), they weave in and out of traffic, and generally drive in a menacing way. They buy super-powered bikes that can reach speeds of over 150MPH only for one reason. To see how fast they can go. And they do it putting themselves and other road users at risk.

... who at least tend to do most of their stupid stuff on country lanes where they're significantly less likely to kill people than themselves.

Incorrect statement. You ask ANY residents of the peak district what their major annoyance is - that's right, motorcyclists speeding.

That, and there not being enough sheep.

And yes, I hate little chavs in their girly vauxhall corsa's speeding around my neighbourhood just as much.

On the contrary, breaking the speed limit doesn't kill anyone.

I myself have travelled at upto 600 mph, and didn't even get a graze. Speed doesn't hurt you, crashing does.

Bike riders are much more vulnerable than car users, and they all know that.

I've seen the occasional bit of bad bike riding, but I see bad car driving every day.