Moben kitchens hard sell

Well LC I think this must be one of those very rare occasions when we see eye to eye. :P QUOTE]

Well Wendy, I have known cases where people with largely erroneous and errant views have eventually seen the light, so there is hope for you yet :thumbsup:

I very seriously doubt it. I think thee/me, more likely thee is beyond redemption :D:thumbsup:

For some reason, kitchens have always been the hardest of the hard sell.

My mate Doug used to clinch deals with waverers in the following way:

"You're happy with the design I've come up with and you're happy with the materials and you're happy with the price we've negotiated including a massive discount. So what's stopping you from going ahead? It's because I'm black isn't it?"

Completely ruthless. He stopped selling kitchens after a while as it made him feel like a criminal.

A word of advice - never use INTOTO kitchens.

I asked them to draw up plans for a house we were renevating, which they duly did - and to be fair they were impressive. When I called into the shop to look at the plans they said "right, sign here and we will start the work" which was a tad pushy considering I'd had a bout 60 seconds to inspect their £9000 proposal.

I did sign in the end, but it was here the real problems started.

1. A lot of the work they agreed to do in the orignal contract wasnt done (e.g. boxing of pipes) I had to bring photographic evidence down of the unfinished work and the contract itself before they would budge an inch.

2. The finish was appaling. There were huge gouge areas in the wall where new sockets had been fitted. Unbelieveably, they asked if my mate, who was a painter and decorator could "patch them up"

3. When I asked them to finish the job off properly, I was told that their main builders were ill. This farce went on for a month. In the end, a mate of mine who is a chippie did the work and invoiced them.

Two interesting things came out of all this.

1. You realise that the actual kitchen you buy is too a degree irrelevant if the company supplying, and fitters being used are cowboys.

2. Intoto closed down shortly after our kitchen was finished, and re-emerged as the Callerton Kitchen Company on Eccy Road.

Avoid.

"You're happy with the design I've come up with and you're happy with the materials and you're happy with the price we've negotiated including a massive discount. So what's stopping you from going ahead? It's because I'm black isn't it?"

Completely ruthless. He stopped selling kitchens after a while as it made him feel like a criminal.

Similar spiel except he was white so couldnt take that line which would have got no shrift with me so I'd have shown him my last bank statement and asked if he'd like to either clear it or take it over. :D

Did anyone ever say. "Yes it is. Send a white man and I'll do business"

!?

Did anyone ever say. "Yes it is. Send a white man and I'll do business"

!?

I don't know but I doubt it. A good salesman knows what buttons to press and he was better than most.

Seeing as I'll be on the look out for a new kitchen shortly, Im glad i read this thread. I HATE the hard-sell tactic, it really p*sses me off.

Quite a few years ago i was shopping for double glazing windows/doors, i got sick to death of salesmen starting off at a stupid amount, then knocking 50% off, then another 10% if i signed there and then, needless to say i got rid of them ASAP, A bloke came from one company(a reputable one), took the measurements and gave me a price ... including a discount and asked me if i could phone him before the end of the week if we decide to use them so he could get the order in. I couldnt believe it, no blarny, no hard sell and a decent price too .... 10 years later the windows/doors are still in great condition. :thumbsup:

________

Suzuki Boulevard S40 History

Edited by pinklady

Moben Kitchens/Dolphin Bathrooms/Sharps Bedrooms - all the same company and all masters at hard sell.

I have a published price list for both retail and trade so you know exactly what you are paying beforehand, all quotes are itemised and all work to be done is listed. Both parties get a copy of the signed quote so we all know where we stand. On occasion I will offer a discount from the published prices but that's at my discretion. I don't start with some ridiculous price and then automatically stick a large discount on it like the big players do.

It also makes things a lot easier to do the admin as all the prices are as good as set.

It never fails to surprise me that someone will hand over the best part of £10k without a detailed quote.

.............It never fails to surprise me that someone will hand over the best part of £10k without a detailed quote.

I have to agree.

I recently tiled a conservatory floor for a customer, over a cup of tea she told me that if she'd known I did bathroom refurbishment she would have had me quote for her refurb. She told me that she had signed a contract with D***hin and that it was costing £11500. After choking on my tea I went to have a look at what she was having done.

I felt awful telling her that the work she was having done should be about £6500 all in. :o

Funny, but I didn't get another cup of tea after that. :hihi:

.... It never fails to surprise me that someone will hand over the best part of £10k without a detailed quote.

That's what left me totally gobsmacked me - the geezer expected me to accept his scrappy note in PENCIL without a detailed breakdown or drawings of what he was expecting me to consider and to take an instant decision. Dont know which planet he lives on but it certainly werent where I came from. :D

The thing is they sell a lot of kitchens that way (the same as Dolphin do with bathrooms and Sharp with bedrooms) and they'll no doubt continue to do so.

When i started searching the forums to find places where I could mention my website I decided not to raise up old threads, well with size of this forum this is old, however many people have gone to my websites and SEARCHED for moben, but no one has left a comment.

As its such a controversial one I'm pro actively searching for people who can leave a comment on this company, any help is much appreciated.