James Dixon and Sons - Info wanted.

Today i found this forum and a was suprised to find so many information about silverplated things made in Sheffield. And now I hope " Ladylikeme" you can help me date the markings by having `James Dixon & Sons` completely stamped.

We have some pieces (Teapot, cream and sugarpot and more ) and the all are stamped in the same way.

On the bottom first a single letter B or A/S or J

After that trumpet and banner

next line JAMES DIXON & SONS

next line SHEFFIELD

next line 12744

next line only the teapot two Lion with the head on the right side

and between something like a line with

letter or nummer in.

next line a number 3

This pieces were bought in Hamburg in 1955 and own them since 1983.

The pieces in good shape and the teapot has a ring of porcelain on the handle.

warm regard

hanseat

Hi Hanseat,

I'm sorry I'm slow in responding to your email. I'm getting ready to go on vacation and have most of my reference books packed. I have done a little research on your silver pieces, but what is throwing me is the two lions with the head on the right side. In your email you say Sheffield is under James Dixon & Sons. You don't mention any other initials like E.P.N.S OR E.P.B.M., etc. I'm assuming without any initials marking the pieces as silver plate then they are sterling silver. Sterling silver is marked with the lion passant, the lion has one paw raised and he is facing left. Now, I'm thinking by saying the "right side", you may have meant the right side of the teapot. Also there is no mention of a cartouche (the area the marks are stamped), which also helps date the pieces. Before I really try to narrow it down to the date, I would like to see a picture of the markings and of the teapot. I think the pictures would help me quite a bit in dating this for you and hopefully tell you a little more about your tea service. I appreciate your questions and am looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Warm Regards,

ladylikeme :wave:

Hi Hanseat,

I'm sorry I'm slow in responding to your email. I'm getting ready to go on vacation and have most of my reference books packed. I have done a little research on your silver pieces, but what is throwing me is the two lions with the head on the right side. In your email you say Sheffield is under James Dixon & Sons. You don't mention any other initials like E.P.N.S OR E.P.B.M., etc. I'm assuming without any initials marking the pieces as silver plate then they are sterling silver. Sterling silver is marked with the lion passant, the lion has one paw raised and he is facing left. Now, I'm thinking by saying the "right side", you may have meant the right side of the teapot. Also there is no mention of a cartouche (the area the marks are stamped), which also helps date the pieces. Before I really try to narrow it down to the date, I would like to see a picture of the markings and of the teapot. I think the pictures would help me quite a bit in dating this for you and hopefully tell you a little more about your tea service. I appreciate your questions and am looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Warm Regards,

ladylikeme :wave:

:thumbsup:

Hello ladylikeme,

thanks for the response and no hurry I have time .

These pieces are very interest, then I found on my research nothing like this marks.

Next days I will send some pictures, first I have to look for a camera.

To the marks again -- the both Lion facing right with a raising paw---

and the lion marks are in a circuit-- and between there is a square with some small ????? in.

---- under SHEFFIELD there no marks like E.P.N.S or E.P.B.M, etc.

Thank you for help and greetings from Flensburg

Kind Regards

Hi ladylikeme,

I´m back with some pictures. The way to see them is that you have to use the following adresses. (the pics in a hosting agent "bilder-hosting.de")

I´m in the forum a newcomer so I not allowed to send URL´s...

and now ??

Thank you for help and have a nice vacation

Warm Regards

hanseat

Hi Hanseat,

I found bilder-hosting-de, but that is as far as I got. I don't know how to search for your pictures on that site. Please send me step by step instructions for locating your pics. Hopefully I'll be able to find them, then get back to you.

Warm Regards,

ladylikeme

:help:

Just to confirm that James Dixon cutlery can be ordered

here -

www . sheffield-cutlery . com

Thanks for the great info Robert" I am going to check out that website as soon as I post this.

Have a Great Day!

ladylikeme

:thumbsup:

Hi, I've never submitted a reply on this forum before so I hope this makes sense. I can't tell if you all have received a reply to your posts so I wanted to give you some of the information I have gained. I've been doing research on James Dixon & Sons, James Deakin & Sons and John Dixon and Sons. I am going to share what I have learned and hopefully I'm not sending you the same old stuff that someone else has already sent to your posts. Also, I've never used tags and plan to leave those alone, so please bear with me.

I'll start with coffee and tea ware. Creamers, pitchers or jugs along with the sugar bowl, tea and coffee pot, were made as separate items until the coming of the 19th century. The five piece set which then appeared was comprised of a teapot, coffee pot, hot water jug, sugar bowl and creamer. Both the teapot and coffee pot were proned to losing their lids and being partly melted by being put too close to the fire or on the hob to keep warm. Nearly all of these 19th century pieces would be Britannia Metal, an alloy of tin, copper and antimony. Similar to the look and feel to pewter, but much harder. Used primarily as a base metal to be silverplated. E.P.B.M. - Electroplated Britannia Metal. Electropolated Nickel Silver has the initials E.P.N.S., Electroplated Copper, E.P.C. and E.P.W.M., Eelectroplated White Metal. By 1838 Elkington & Co. had discovered and patented electroplating, E.P. In 1842 the company received financial backing from Josiah Mason, renaming the firm to Elkington, Mason & Co. a very successful company. The firm introduced Electrotyping as a new method of production for silver plated items, E.T.

Are you still with me? I'm going to have to finish this tomorrow. If I had realized I was going to go on and on and on, I would have started this much earlier! Please, if somebody has already submitted this information, let me know and I'll stop boring you with my gleanings. So, goodnight and you all have a great day.

Clydie ;)

Hi and nice to meet you!

I too am researching James Dixon and Sons as I have a lovely Castor set complete with 6 cruets. The bottom of my piece has a stamped crown, under that is a circle with four sections in it depicting different animals. Next to the center circle on the right is a unicorn. On the left of the center circle is the lion holding up one paw looking left. Under the center circle is a banner that reads ET MON.

On another section of the castor set are a set of 7 different marks.

The first is a shield with a with a symbol looking like an E up against a backwards E. Possibly the customer mark...

The second mark is a very fancy letter D with an F inside of it.

The third mark is a shield. In the middle is &

The fourth mark is a coats and arms sheild. In the center is an S that looks like $.

The fifth mark is another shield with the letters PN and below those is S.

Below all five marks is R190 and a tiny symbol of what looks like a mushroom.

After reading all 5 pages of threads I am going too look for the book

ISBN 1-901587-52-5. Can you enlighten me on any information you have regarding these marks and/or the research books that you refer too?

I appreciate you time and wish you got paid for sharing your mind with the rest of us!

Thank you! Snappything

Hi,

At the present, I am on vacation. Hopefully I will get caught up on questions and requests on or before August 15, 2006. Please be patient, I will get a response to all of you when I return.

Thank you for your emails and posts.

ladylikeme

:banana:

When I wanted information about a James Dixon cruet that I own, I went to the Sheffield city library, they hold all the info about Hall Marks etc.

Cynthia, Ontario, Canada.

Sorry Hanseat, have just noticed that you are living in Germany.

Cynthia.