James Dixon and Sons - Info wanted.

hi,

A piece I thought was silver now appears to be Sheffield electro plate and I am looking for information the easy way on what I have discovered so far.

On the bottom of this goblet are the markings for James Dixon and sons, however they appear to be different to ones I have found on the net and are likely to be early in the companies history. A '|' symbols denotes the end of that individual stamp

JD | & | S | EP

underneath the above stamps are

02344 adn just next to those is a scratched on number which is just visable and looks like

9/388

So what do I want? Any information regarding dating this piece and any history anyone has on the above company.

What I have found so far

Sheffield firm, founded in 1806 by James Dixon.

In 1811 became a partnership Dixon & Smith.

In 1822 the company moved to Cornish Place and became Dixon & Son, then in 1835 became James Dixon & Sons. The firm continued to be a family run enterprise until 1976.

The famous trumpet and banner trade mark was granted in 1879

I have found so far that workshops owned by James Dixon and Sons were involved in the Sheffield flood and some dies and stamps were damaged, which could be an indication of where and when my piece was made?

Cornish Works, the property of Messrs. James Dixon and Sons, were flooded, and the dies and stamps in the lower rooms were injured. The boundary wall of Cornish Lane was knocked down for some distance. taken from A Complete History of The Great Flood at Sheffield by Samuel Harrison

Any help greatly appreciated.

I use to work in the silverware trade until I was made redundant in the late 80's.The numbers could be the style/catalogue number.

From memory James Dixons stamps/dies/tooling were brought by a company called Cooper Cobbs which also went into receivership in the early 90's. A company called British Silverware Ltd now owns several old Sheffield family silverware companies. The head office is registered at Royd Mills,Windsor Street,Sheffield.

Tel. No. 0114 286 0500. The directors of BSL are made of manangers of THESSCO ( The Sheffield Smelting Co) .

It may also be worth trying the Sheffield Central Library on Surrey Street, Local History Library Upstairs, they may have old trade catalogues as reference material. Hope this as been of use.

I believe because of the stamps it has it cannot have been made after 1879 because that is when James Dixon and Sons were granted a bugle trademark stamp.

Also it couldn't have been made before 1835 because before that the company was known by a different name so the inititials wouldn't have been used.

I have cross referenced with other stamps (online) and it appears that it is likely to be James Dixon, but the way the stamp is on there, is different to anything I have seen so far for that company, which is why I thought the dates of the flood may have been relevant. If they had lost the sies and stamps they may have created new/different ones?

So at these dates would there still have been catalogues?

Thank you for the info BTW.

Moon

BUMP up for another thread relating to James Dixon

Moon Maiden

My Wife used to work at James Dixons 45 year ago..Where she used to Polish Items like silverware and drinking flasks..I have several pieces of JD Some silver. but mostly pewter mainly Teapots and Coffee pots....I also have difficulty dating the marks.

Hiya. Me and my partner have just bought our 1st place together. It is in Cornish Place. The old factory of James Dixon & sons. It was converted into apartments 4 yrs ago. We are both very interested to find out more about the history of the building and we would love to acquire some original James Dixon & sons silverware so we can bring it 'home'. If anyone one has any old pictures of Cornish Place or any info, please let me know. Thanks Jen x x x

Please help for info on Pewter Jug that we have owned for the last 17 years and can't seem to find any info on it. We believe it to be a hot water jug of some description, approx 7 inches high with a hinged lid and an acorn finial. It has 5 hallmarks underneath:- First one being a crown similar to a fleur de lys???? (spelling prob wrong), Second one:- Looks like a figure rowing in a swan like boat. The next three seem to be a 'D & S. We have looked on the net and have come up with Dixon and Smith/Son???? On top of these hallmarks is the number '2'. Underneath these are the numbers 0471.

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Hi Everyone!

I CAN'T believe that I just found this forum AFTER a year of searching out information on this Dixon tilting water kettle that I purchased .. By Accident!!

Moon Maiden, I have a similar problem on dating my kettle as you do.

On the bottom of the kettle, all it has is D*S

I had No idea that this was a Dixon piece until I wrote to a gentleman at the Silvervault in London.

He seemed very excited and had me send close-up pictures of the bottom and of the ivory and pins in the handle.

He confirmed that it was Dixon and true Sheffield Plate but, he couldn't give me a date.

I am not even sure if this is Dixon and Smith or Dixon and Son.

The curator said that the piece looked Alot like a Paul Storr design.

I have pictures if anyone is interested and I Think that I saved the letter from the curator.

I am so happy to have found this forum.

Thank You 8)

MC

P.S. There are some numbers on the base too.

A 3 above the D*S and 1213 below the D*S

Got an interesting bowl marked |J.D|&|S|EP then has a shield that has what looks a bit like a lamp in it. This is followed by Sheffield : English Pewter : P904. The bowl is quite distinctive in design with a geometric pattern all the way around.

I have posted up two pictures here:

http://www.imgbucket.com/62/ArtDecoBowl4.jpg

http://www.imgbucket.com/14/ArtDecoBowl2.jpg

Anyone got any ideas? Would be interested in any info. I assume it is by James Dixon and Sons? Anyone suggest a date?

James

A lot of these James Dixon items, Tea pots, coffee pots, and water jugs, all have a single number on the base 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5,

This denotes the size of the item in servings of 1 third of a pint ( a teacup full)..I have an old pewter teapot with the number 7 and it,s really a big one and it will pour out 7 cups of tea easily.

We have had in the family for over 50 years a ceramic teapot(?) which has a 4" dia round base, 4 1/2" dia six-sided container which is reduced to a 1 1/2" neck and has a pewter hinged lid. This blue with gold over white procelin is over 10" high and has "James Dixon and Sons" on the inside of the pewter lid and a "5." shown on the bottom without any other marks or identification. It is quite graceful with its high and curving handle.

Can you give us some background on this beautiful pot?

Thank you so much,

Carl

Hi. We found this forum when looking for information on James Dixon & Sons as we have quite a bit of silver cutlery & similar items to sell. (We are Nottingham based). The JD piece we have looks like a tea strainer & bears the marks |JD|&|S| followed by a shield with 2 triangles inside (which we take to be the bugle/trumpet mark). We have no idea if it's worth anything but are now interested in it's history. (As far as we know, this is the only piece of JD & S silver we have - we have much more & are trying to find out more info on the other items too). The tea strainer we have can be viewed here:

http://www.VicnLiz.org.uk/pics/jds01.jpg

http://www.VicnLiz.org.uk/pics/jds02.jpg

http://www.VicnLiz.org.uk/pics/jds03.jpg

Any further info' will be great. Thanks, Vic & Liz. :)