Bentley Brothers attercliffe Road

It y

y

that is john give me a bell, Gordon 07809535058

---------- Post added 18-08-2018 at 01:04 ----------

b

Boosh only just found it, G L old apprentices, OMG

I believe the demise of Bentley Bros was due to under estimating the cost of the new premises especially when finding a unmapped tunnel which cost a fortune to sort out.Bentleys also had a van Dept opposite the Wicker picture house this eventually became the disabled and motorbility section.

Yes, Bentley's had a Lorry/van showroom at the corner of the Wicker and Andrew Street but I thought the disabled and mobility place belong to the Wicker Pharmacy (further up the Wicker) after Bentley's moved out.

Boosh,

Is that John who went to see American Wearwolf in London when it was on at the pictures with 2 twins.

GL apprentice at Savile Street who was the manager?

Hi Wild dancer My father was a salesman there when you were working there his name was Ivor Dyson  due you remember him?

My mum worked there about the time the Vauxhall Victor was launched, ('59 I think) I remember her going to the evening launch do.

Her name was Beatrice 'Beat' Hall. 

Edited by chrishall

On 05/01/2019 at 20:08, chrishall said:

My mum worked there about the time the Vauxhall Victor was launched, ('59 I think) I remember her going to the evening launch do.

Her name was Beatrice 'Beat' Hall. 

My grandad worked there around   1915 a long time ago .He got the sack for taking a car for a run and rapping around a gas lamp.Must admit he had never drove a car before.He worked on the petrol pumps which they had then and he used to pull a trick called palming which was counting out the customers change in their hand but wedging a coin in his palm which he kept.Sounds like a nice man and if the police come around I shall deny it all 😂

I've just found this forum and spotted a few mentions of Andy Bentley - who is my dad. I think he was sales manager when the company went under, which was indeed due to overstretching the company's debt to develop the showroom.  He then went on to be GM for several other retailers, including Vauxhall dealerships in Mansfield and Bristol and then spent a number of years at Wadham Kennings at the site behind where the Pomona used to be on Ecclesall Road. 

He's been retired almost 20 years and despite having some health issues, still enjoys going to watch Utd. In fact the release of the old replica away kits with  the vertical 'Bentleys' lettering was what got me thinking about Bentley brothers on the Wicker. 

Hi Jay Bentley, Andrew and I were friends and played football for The Antiques in the late 1960's my Father worked for Bentleys as a salesman and also worked with Andrew until he and my mother moved out to Australia where I had gone to live. I would  very much like you to say hello to Andrew and pass on my best wishes to him and if he feels like getting in touch he could send a message through you. He would be the same age as myself and we were good friends many years ago.

Hi Again Jay, I omitted my name I'm Clive Dyson my dad was Ivor.