Sign in to follow this  

Winter Flowers - what can i have?

I've had my first garden for 5 months and know very little about gardening. Since my back is concrete i bought lots of tubs and bought a variety of plants from B&Q. Now the cold weather is setting in i want to know what i can put in my pots to make my yard look pretty?

I'm just about to plant up mine, I'll have some with Skimmia for the berries, and they'll have some Narcissus (lil daffs) and snowdrops to push thru in spring. I'll pop in some Pansies too. I think I might give hellebores a go this year, I've not grown them in a pot before, but it's all trial and error.

You might try some box balls or ivy (maybe some heather if it's hardy up here) for year round interest, and just pop in bedding for each season.

Good luck mate!

Hey,

Try searching for crocus.co.uk, they sell plants on there too, but you can search by season of interest, so if you want winter plants it will find suitible ones for you - you don't have to buy from there, just getting the name will do.

I'd like to try winter jasmine, that would give good interest. Winter pansies and hardy primroses are good for pots and get bulbs like daffodils, dwarf tulips, snow drops, fritillaries, crocus', scilla, cyclamen, hyacinth and bluebells! These are all early spring and will give splashes of colour even when it's still frosty or snowy.

My pyracanthus is in full berry at the moment, and will continue to be so until the birds snaffle them all - though my garden kite seems to have put them off a bit.

I have a couple of evergreen clematis, one of which flowers with cute little white bells all winter. Grows like a magic beanstalk too :D (found a pic)