Rivelin valley allotments

Vandalism doesn't seem to be a problem where I am (151 up near the bottom of Hagg Lane) finding an allotment that doesn't resemble a jungle is:D

Ah, we were right next to the footpath on the bottom corner of that row. It wasn't that much of a jungle (only weeds, not trees :rolleyes: ) too many beercans left behind though :(

Hi there

I'm new to this site and wanting any advice re an allotment plot in rivelin. My partner and i are thinking of renting one close to the play ground, cafe etc as we have young children. Are there any areas best avoided re vandles etc or areas less over grown. When we get info through from the council we plan to go down and have a look but it's nice to know as much as poss before we do.

kazbar

Hi there

I'm new to this site and wanting any advice re an allotment plot in rivelin. My partner and i are thinking of renting one close to the play ground, cafe etc as we have young children. Are there any areas best avoided re vandles etc or areas less over grown. When we get info through from the council we plan to go down and have a look but it's nice to know as much as poss before we do.

kazbar

The main problem with renting allotments these days is vandalism. Like some friends of mine who spent about 18 months toiling away building a shed and greenhouse, weeding, planting new stuff etc, only to have the place trashed once it was all up and running. This is why there are so many empty ones nowadays, it's just not worth the expense and hard graft to see it burnt down or smashed up. It's a shame but that's how it is these days.

Hi there

kazbar

Hi and welcome Kazbar! :wave: There are loads of posts on this at the Sheffield Forum Allotment and Gardening Group , where you'd be very very welcome! In fact, to get you started, look at this.

Can a mod please move this to our site? Cheers!

Don Note: threads merged :thumbsup:

Cheers Don, forgot I could merge doh!

Cheers Don, forgot I could merge doh!

:hihi: it's my new found obsession :thumbsup:

Re cris 71.

I was given an unworkable plot on the Sharrard Road site and other plot holders told me to enquire about plot 15. When I asked the allotments office they said this plot had gone but, no one has been near since Christmas 2006. I then asked about plot 21 which had been vacant for about a year and was told I could change to that plot. If that was the case way was I not allocated the better plot in the first instance.

The main problem with renting allotments these days is vandalism. Like some friends of mine who spent about 18 months toiling away building a shed and greenhouse, weeding, planting new stuff etc, only to have the place trashed once it was all up and running. This is why there are so many empty ones nowadays, it's just not worth the expense and hard graft to see it burnt down or smashed up. It's a shame but that's how it is these days.

That's why we stopped.

The closer the plot is to the playground/cafe the more likely it is to get vandalised, as they don't have to walk as far to trash it :rolleyes:

Hi, just wondering if anyone can give me a hand finding plot 366 in Rivelin, I've trudged around till dark looking for it thanks to the very 'useful' maps the council provided me with. I have to admit i was a little disheartened after seeing the plots but hopefully it'll be a project and by the sound os this thread their is plenty of people in the same boat.