Rivelin valley allotments

Hi,

I am really upset today. My husband and I found this gorgeous plot in rivelin valley, in a sunny position, not too overgrown, and when we phoned to reserve it we were told it had just gone to someone else. I can't tell you how disappointed I feel! After having seen the other available plots on the eastern part of the site, this one was just perfect.

We don't know what to do now. There are plenty of vacant allotments on the western side of the rivelin valley area. Are they any good? We went for a walk on Sunday but couldn't find our way in the allotment area. It seems overgrown to the point of being unpassable (trees, etc). However, when I looked on Googlemaps, the area doesn't seem that overgrown at all. Were we looking in the wrong area?

I am in desperate need of advice. Does any of you have an allotment in this area? Or should be look into Hagg House instead?

My friend and I have adjoining allotments in Rivelin Valley but we're hopefully moving onto the Walkley Bank site, I can let you know if it all goes through OK and we can sign one (or both) of them over to you.

Hi Becky, that's very kind! I've sent you a PM. :-)

Hi. cris71.

I have just come across your post whilst browsing. I know how you felt. You find a site you think might be suitable, then the allotment dept, says, 'Oh that one has gone' and months later nop one has been seen in or near it. Having looked at the comments made on the forum lst I am now of the opinion that the Council are only interested in getting gullible peop[le like myself and other to put good their allotment site for them. It appears that they are offering all of us overgrown, rubbish filled plots and when you complain the reply is. well you signed for it. I beleive that there musr be something under the Trade Descrption Act .It is time the allotment department got their fingers out and started to help tenants. sorry for the long tirade I do hope that you eventually got what you were looking for. Mil

I agree. Some of the stuff on ours (which we've pretty much given up on) would be extremely difficult to shift by hand, the old top loading washing machine being a good example :) . The council obviously can't be bothered with them all but are quite happy to let them out and block you from getting a truck down to them!

My friend and I have adjoining allotments in Rivelin Valley but we're hopefully moving onto the Walkley Bank site, I can let you know if it all goes through OK and we can sign one (or both) of them over to you.

hiya becky. the allotments on walkely bank side, are they nr morley street allotments? if so could u tell me a road nr it so i can look it up on google maps

dave:thumbsup:

Hi,

I am really upset today. My husband and I found this gorgeous plot in rivelin valley, in a sunny position, not too overgrown, and when we phoned to reserve it we were told it had just gone to someone else. I can't tell you how disappointed I feel! After having seen the other available plots on the eastern part of the site, this one was just perfect.

We don't know what to do now. There are plenty of vacant allotments on the western side of the rivelin valley area. Are they any good? We went for a walk on Sunday but couldn't find our way in the allotment area. It seems overgrown to the point of being unpassable (trees, etc). However, when I looked on Googlemaps, the area doesn't seem that overgrown at all. Were we looking in the wrong area?

I am in desperate need of advice. Does any of you have an allotment in this area? Or should be look into Hagg House instead?

Oh it's rubbish when this happens! Best thing is to mark off quite a few plots, it lessens the disappointment. Also, not far from Rivelin are the ones on Hagg House and Hagg Lane - there appear to be quite a few fellow forummers on Hagg House now! Ours is Hagg Lane and the wait was around 6 months.

And when using Google Maps, the pics are a snapshot in time, and I'm not sure when the photos were taken. I do know it was quite a while ago though: on google maps, our plot looks cultivated, but when we took it on it had been abandoned for at least 18 months...

hiya becky. the allotments on walkely bank side, are they nr morley street allotments? if so could u tell me a road nr it so i can look it up on google maps

They're the Morley Street allotments. Aren't you already on the waiting list ? ;)

yeah im 29th, lol,

how did u manage to get one on morley street? did u get one signed over?;)

They're the Morley Street allotments. Aren't you already on the waiting list ? ;)

And when using Google Maps, the pics are a snapshot in time, and I'm not sure when the photos were taken. I do know it was quite a while ago though: on google maps, our plot looks cultivated, but when we took it on it had been abandoned for at least 18 months...

Looking at google maps and the state of my back garden Hillsborough, it looks they were taken in 2002/3. Looking at the state of my allotment, it looks fairly well cared for so it must be about the 1800's :D

Dan

yeah im 29th, lol,

how did u manage to get one on morley street? did u get one signed over?;)

Nah, I'm on the waiting list too. The one I'm giving up on is at Rivelin...

mmmm riverlin, i think ill give it a miss, why are you giving it up?

Nah, I'm on the waiting list too. The one I'm giving up on is at Rivelin...