Rivelin valley allotments

Hi StPears

I will definately be down on the allotment on Saturday to finish the fence, put some cloches out to warm up the soil and maybe dig a bit more up.

I live 5 minutes walk from the allotments on Rodney Hill and am about 27th on the waiting list:mad: tell your mate to use it or lose it:P

I do have access to some horse manure (I have 3 horses), but don't have a trailer etc to be able to get it to the allotment. It looks like I'm going to have to bag it up and cart it down there in the car.

If your around on Saturday pop up and see us, we'll put the kelly kettle on:thumbsup:

Is that Fort Sanman I passed as I left the site yesterday? Very nice, very shiny! I notice you've left room for a moat, then all you'll need is a few embrasures for repelling vandals!

I'm sticking with the 'low profile, hope you're not noticed and don't leave anything on site that you can't afford to lose' tactic for now. If anyone wants to break in and dig up my *&*&*&%$! brambles, they're more than welcome.

Talking of which, I broke my fork yesterday. It was a pricey Wilkinson Sword effort too. Bought on the basis that you shouldn't skimp on tools & should always get the best you can afford etc. Bad choice, complaint e-mail already on it's way and a trip to Wilkos for a cheapo replacement in the offing.....

Talking of which, I broke my fork yesterday. It was a pricey Wilkinson Sword effort too. Bought on the basis that you shouldn't skimp on tools & should always get the best you can afford etc. Bad choice, complaint e-mail already on it's way and a trip to Wilkos for a cheapo replacement in the offing.....

Last year I also broke a wilkinson sword fork whilst trying to remove some stubborn bramble roots from a friends allotment. They can't be that good after all.

Hi StPears

That's the one:D I don't think we'll get any trouble, it was just to deter the passing lout. The area in front of the fence will be for the compost heap etc, if anyone wants to steal that then they're welcome. On tools I bought and azada and right angle fork fromhttp://www.get.digging.co.uk, they are certainly a back saver:thumbsup:

Hello folks - I'm in plot 395 down by the mill pond if anyone sees me working feel free to say hello. It's the weed-covered mess with half a burnt-down shed at the bottom. *shame*

I should be planting in some hedging this weekend if the ground isn't frozen - the plot is completely open at the moment, but hopefully this should help keep out those up to no good. If anyone's got any tips on securing allotments against riff-raff I'd love to hear them.

Try not to use anything flammable:D That's why I've gone down the cuurugated iron sheeting route with optional machine gun nests and mine field

We should be down on plot 390 near the millpond this weekend edwardc - it will only be our third visit so still a lot to do! We have a massive greenhouse/shed/death trap to deal with as well.

Some time last week someone got in our plot too (something to do with the lack of gate methinks?) and set fire to the cr*p that has been dumped at the back over the past few years. Great.

I think for the moment we will go down the route of least resistance - nothing left on site! Obviously nothing planted yet either so not much to lose. I think the more often people are there the better - it'll be a long haul!

If the weather's decent on Sunday, I'll be out with some of my friends who have agreed to volunteer, so if you see us come over and say hello. I'll be bringing down some of my old camping gear so we will have tea-making facilities on site, too :)

I should be planting in some hedging this weekend if the ground isn't frozen - the plot is completely open at the moment, but hopefully this should help keep out those up to no good. If anyone's got any tips on securing allotments against riff-raff I'd love to hear them.

We've given up on ours, partly due to the riff-raff. The problem with hedges is that they just hide the allotment from casual eyes - so people can go on there and do what the want without people seeing...

Vandalism doesn't seem to be a problem where I am (151 up near the bottom of Hagg Lane) finding an allotment that doesn't resemble a jungle is:D

If the weather's decent on Sunday, I'll be out with some of my friends who have agreed to volunteer, so if you see us come over and say hello. I'll be bringing down some of my old camping gear so we will have tea-making facilities on site, too :)

Will do edwardc - the more the merrier :thumbsup:

Hey all, just thought I'd say that we're on plot 380 near the millpond and are planning to do some hedging this weekend also. In case you're wondering, we're the ones with the greenhouse which has finally fallen down! It would be great to chat with anyone else down there, so please feel free to stop and have a chat.

Ed if you've got people coming to help, do they fancy babysitting as Alex will be coming too? If we don't make it down til sunday, we can bring your plants with us.

Jo