Any suggestions on the alternative to buttons?

I've been knitting a baby cardigan that has 3 buttons on the front. I thought all was going well until I've come to sew it all together, and I've realised that I've forgotten to make button holes!

It's far too late to correct it as I've already picked up and knitted a trillion stitches round the front and it's more or less finished. I did consider using a ribbon to tie it with at the front instead of buttons, but it's for a boy and I think that would look too feminine.

Anyone got any ideas on what I could do with it?

Toggles, so you can make little icord loops to fasten it with.

I've put on press studs then sew buttons on looks like it's got buttons then

I like the idea of toggles but I've never tried icord before and as it is for a gift I don't want to try and then mess it up. Also I'm not sure whether I could get small enough toggles because it's a teensy cardi for a newborn.

Press studs might be a good idea, I will look into that I think. A zip isn't really an option because it just wouldn't suit the style of the cardi, the same for the hooks and eyes I think.

Thanks for all your help everyone, I honestly wouldn't have thought of any of those!

If you put a small button on top of the press stud you won't be able to tell that you forgot the buttonhole I've used this method many times on newborn cardis. Good luck sure it will luck great whatever you decide.

If you put a small button on top of the press stud you won't be able to tell that you forgot the buttonhole I've used this method many times on newborn cardis. Good luck sure it will luck great whatever you decide.

That's a really good idea, especially if the original pattern called for buttons.

I like the toggle idea too, but I find that they only suit certain types of garment, and might look out of place on a newborn's cardi. Maybe it's just me being a bit too traditional though. I've just been browsing through Paton's 'Fairytale' collection of patterns, so I'm probably a little biased at the moment due to all the pastel shades and little pearly buttons I've been looking at.

What about velcro? Everything you buy these days seems to have it on

I wouldnt do velcro - bit scratchy for a newborn and is likely to ruin the lovely knitting.

What Ive done before is kind of make a loop out of wool/ embroidery floss big enough for a button and used one of those shanked buttons (a few loops big enough for the button then bound together by kind of weaving another thread round - oh I cant explain very well:( - hold on found this :D ). Press studs will do fine though with the button on top:)

Well I decided to go for toggles. It took me forever to find some small wooden toggles, and the site I bought them from has a minimum spend of £10 so I just HAD to buy some bag handles *snigger*. I may try the button loop method that lisaH linked to, thanks for that. If thatdoesn't work then I will try press studs. I'll post a picture when it's done!

I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like. I really like toggles, though they do remind me of Paddington Bear and his lovely navy blue coat :) .