Anyone remember the Tailor Barney Goodmans?

Was there another one in town, not ' Barney's' but perhaps equivalent, Furness and Dukes ??

Mackleys was equivalent to Barney Goodman . I think he worked for Barney before setting up on his own. His suits were as good as Barneys.

Mackleys was equivalent to Barney Goodman . I think he worked for Barney before setting up on his own. His suits were as good as Barneys.

Never in a million years , There is and only ever has been one legend in gentleman's tailors in our City and that was Barney Goodman .

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 19:15 ----------

Does any one know if there is a tailor or seamstress that still makes made to measure trousers in Sheffield .

Before WW2 many Jewish tradesmen entered Britain for safety. Many of the tailors settled in Leeds which became the clothing mecca in the north. Some settled in Sheffield to lessen the competion amongst which were Isidore Newman on Abbeydale Road and Barney Goodman and Hipps which located opposite each other on The Moor. All suits were priced in guinees with a good suit from Hipps costing around 17 guinees. However, a Goodman suit was regarded as one of the best outside London. I had one made in 1956 costing 36 guinees and I knew it looked exceptional.

Before WW2 many Jewish tradesmen entered Britain for safety. Many of the tailors settled in Leeds which became the clothing mecca in the north. Some settled in Sheffield to lessen the competion amongst which were Isidore Newman on Abbeydale Road and Barney Goodman and Hipps which located opposite each other on The Moor. All suits were priced in guinees with a good suit from Hipps costing around 17 guinees. However, a Goodman suit was regarded as one of the best outside London. I had one made in 1956 costing 36 guinees and I knew it looked exceptional.

I thought Hipps was an 'off the peg' place like John Collier's and Weaver to Wearer.

Does any one know if there is a tailor or seamstress that still makes made to measure trousers in Sheffield .

There's a few about, though I can't personally vouch for any...

Barney Goodman still do a visiting service: http://barneygoodman.com/about/

Ted Williams: http://www.tedthetailor.co.uk/

Manoj: http://www.manojbespoketailor.co.uk/

Ashley Rodgers: http://www.ashleyrogers.co.uk/

I had several suits made at Barney's, all were top quality.

Oddly enough there is a Isadore Newman listed as an agent in S O E, having said that it can't be our man, he was captured and shot in 1944. Maybe some family connection.....

I thought Hipps was an 'off the peg' place like John Collier's and Weaver to Wearer.

I had two suits from Hipps and each time it was one fitting. The sample book had terms for the design and colour we wouldn't get away with today. I once chose a chocolate brown hopsack material that was listed as the 'N' word !

I had two suits from Hipps and each time it was one fitting. The sample book had terms for the design and colour we wouldn't get away with today. I once chose a chocolate brown hopsack material that was listed as the 'N' word !

Come to think of it, my mother bought me a suit from Hipps for my older brother's wedding in late 1960- I was 13 and 5'2"-It was 'Italian style' Grey with white pin stripes and cloth buttons that matched the material. Cost 11 quid. I think my dad just about earned that a week in 1960 so I supposes it was on 'easy terms' and the phrase ' Looked a Bobby Dazzler' was appropriate.

Edited by stpetre
add

Hi all - I had a Powder Blue Gabardine drape suit from Hipps, there was one fitting, it looked great and didn't cost a lot because I couldn't afford a lot, I think I went back for something else at some point, maybe a sports jacket. fleetwood

My dad had a Reid & Taylor suit made at Barney's. It lasted him for years. Quality.